Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: All 42 Charlie Chan Movies in One DVD Set

Thanks for your reply, Rush. I have some of the earlier releases, mainly on vc's, so I wanted to update to dvd's. Since my earlier posting, I have viewed a couple more of them and should probably amend my evaluation from "Excellent" to "Very good, over all." A couple of them are rather fuzzy and dark, such as "The Trap," but this is one of my least favorite Chan films anyway. That screaming Clem drives me crazy. Somebody should have bumped her off in the first scene, and it would have been a much better movie.

"Charlie Chan in Egypt," one of my favorites, is also a bit dark but still compares favorably to my earlier copy.

I still recommend the set as a good buy. It's the only one I've seen that includes all the available films at a decent price.

Ron

Most interesting you bring this up Ron. I was looking through websites and came across that and it sounded good but I wondered about the quality. Does it have the special features or is it just the films only?

Hi Lin. No, it's only the films. And as I cautioned in my last posting, a couple of them are not excellent quality but most of them do compare well to other copies I've seen.

Ron

I just ordered this set from TheVintageTheatre.com
I have a copy of their older release of all of the films. There are captions and other information included on the DVDs.
TheVintageTheatre is the original producer of these copies so I tend to think they are more reputable than other companies.

My order for this set arrived today and was placed on Monday. Quality is the same as the old set ordered from The Vintage Popcorn Theater which is the old site for The Vintage Theatre.
Although this newer release is called the platinum edition, it lacks the captions and other info the old 31 movie had. I do not see any improvement in re-mastering.

After being spoiled by Chanthology and Volume 5 with Sidney Toler from Fox (which are much better re-mastered), I ordered this set mainly to obtain the missing movies which are not available elsewhere.

Oh, to have a complete set with ALL movies professionally re-mastered!

This is a wonderful message board and you guys have provided a lot of great, helpful information.

Thanks so much :)