Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan and the BBC

Except for the still excellant Hercule Poirot entries by David Suchet I'm afraid to report that the BBC seems to be losing thier touch in regards to classic detectives. A new Shelock Holmes TV film has been made set in the modern era. I haven't seen it, but from the photos the pair of actors playing Holmes and Watson appear to be the type that would appear on one of their modern crime procedure dramas. Frankly, I find the English police procedure shows to be no better then ours. Infact I don't think they're as good as our Law & order shows. The actors may not be as unrealisticly Hollywood pretty like the those that populate our CSI type shows, but then they lack the glitz and glamour and offer nothing to make up for it as far as I'm concerned. Still, somebody's doing it right with Poirot so there's always hope,after all The New Adventures of Charlie Chan was British made and I think if it had only been an hour show it would've been quite sucessful.

Re: Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan and the BBC

I saw part of one episode of this new BBC "Sherlock" series set in current-day London; IMO it was fantastic:

While it did have the slick look of current TV detective shows, it was very much in the spirit of the stories (this one seemed to be a take on "A study in Scarlet )and not just another current day procedural with some sherlockian references.

I had read about this series a little while back, and the review(s) were very positive. IIRC it said that 2 of the 3 eps had been shown with a 3rd and final one coming soon: I look forward to obtaining the DVD's