Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for Charlie Chan

Aloha Rush,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. One can't help but notice the excitement in your words as you describe your journey with Steve in Hawaii.

Continue to enjoy your trip. I'm definitely green with envy, wishing I could share in your experience.

Perhaps.....no, hopefully some day soon, our humble Chan Family will be able to gather and share this magical journey together.

Keep us posted if possible and hopefully you are able to take some pictures to share with us.

Looking forward to seeing you and Steve on Monday!

Sincerely,
Matt

PS-Were you able to stop by the Panama Hat shop at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?

Dear Matt,

Mahalo so much! Yes, in our Royal Hawaiian Hotel search, Steve and I walked past the Panama hat store, Newt at the Royal, and just looked through the windows, really. To be honest, I was afraid that I might see something I could not resist! We may, time permitting, stop by again.

Today I was a part of Steve's Charlie Chan/Chang Apana walking tour through the Chinatown area of Honolulu. We passed through many Chan-related locales, including the boat terminals where Biggers, Oland, and others arrived and departed. At the end of the tour, we all gathered at a Chinatown art gallery where James Hong interacted with about twenty of us - a rare treat, indeed! We all celebrated Earl Derr Biggers' birthday, and Mr. Hong shared his thoughts on acting as well as his insights into his work on "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan."

A very full afternoon!

This may happen again next year, and perhaps some of us might be able to make the trip out to Honolulu to participate and share in this unique experience.

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush and Steve,
Ironically, I was watching the Godzilla version with Raymond Burr and the commenary during the movie.

It seems that James Hong and Sammee Tong (and an actress) were hired to do the dubbing for the Japanese actors in the Burr/English Version.

They had got the job because they could do "voices."

Hong said that they got all the dubbing done in about five hours in a room (with no windows) with recording equipment. Sometimes they were asked to repeat a line a little faster or slower as need.

Maybe you all could ask him about it?!

and/or give him my website and url?!?!

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

Sorry, but I saw your post too late (just now!) to put that question to Mr. Hong this evening. However, the other day at the Hawaii Theater, he talked with the audience about the process of dubbing that is referred to as "looping." There were demonstrations on how it is done using local acting students. Clips from "Kung Fu Panda" (in which he plays the panda's father) were used as illustrations as well as material for the demonstration.

All I can say about James Hong would not be enough to express how great a person he is. A wonderful and funny individual who is truly a master at his craft! I am deeply honored at having had the opportunity to interact with him to the small extent that I have been able.

If opportunity knocks again anytime soon, perhaps Steve or I will be able to put your question to him. Again, I apologize.

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush,
It's my fault for not finding it in time.

Darn it!

Thanks anyway!

Virginia

TYSM!! For the treat of doing this thru your eyes. Sounds like your doing something many would love to do!

Greetings from Hawaii. What a great adventure I had with Rush in Honolulu. The minute Rush's plane landed in Honolulu, we jumped into our searching for Charlie Chan. On the first day, we visited the HPD museum and saw the Chang Apana exhibit. Shortly thereafter, we toured the inside of the old Honolulu Police Dept. building (c. 1930). This is the building where Apana's (and Chan's) Detective Bureau was located.

As Rush stated in an earlier posting, we visited several Chan sites related to "The Black Camel" (1931), i.e. Kailua Beach, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, the Manoa Chinese Cementery, etc.

The highlight of the entire celebration came on Sunday, August 22. First, lunch & a birthday toast to E. D. Biggers, followed by the Chan/Apana walking tour, and finally, the Biggers birthday party with actor James Hong. [JH played #1 Son in the 1950s TV series.]

The birthday party was a true once-in-a-lifetime event. During the party, Mr. Hong re-enacted a scene from the TV series "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" (1957). In the cast, Mr. Hong played Chan and a young local actor played Number One Son. Great laughs came from the guests due to Mr. Hong's ad-libbing during the scene. It was an entertaining and wonderful day for all in attendance.

Rush, I'm so glad we had the opportunity to meet one another and share our knowledge of Charlie Chan. Thank you so much for your assistance with the screening of "The Black Camel." You were there for me, and I appreciate you lending a helpful hand.

Aloha,

Steve