Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for Charlie Chan

TYSM!! For the treat of doing this thru your eyes. Sounds like your doing something many would love to do!

Re: Looking for Charlie Chan

Greetings from Hawaii. What a great adventure I had with Rush in Honolulu. The minute Rush's plane landed in Honolulu, we jumped into our searching for Charlie Chan. On the first day, we visited the HPD museum and saw the Chang Apana exhibit. Shortly thereafter, we toured the inside of the old Honolulu Police Dept. building (c. 1930). This is the building where Apana's (and Chan's) Detective Bureau was located.

As Rush stated in an earlier posting, we visited several Chan sites related to "The Black Camel" (1931), i.e. Kailua Beach, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, the Manoa Chinese Cementery, etc.

The highlight of the entire celebration came on Sunday, August 22. First, lunch & a birthday toast to E. D. Biggers, followed by the Chan/Apana walking tour, and finally, the Biggers birthday party with actor James Hong. [JH played #1 Son in the 1950s TV series.]

The birthday party was a true once-in-a-lifetime event. During the party, Mr. Hong re-enacted a scene from the TV series "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" (1957). In the cast, Mr. Hong played Chan and a young local actor played Number One Son. Great laughs came from the guests due to Mr. Hong's ad-libbing during the scene. It was an entertaining and wonderful day for all in attendance.

Rush, I'm so glad we had the opportunity to meet one another and share our knowledge of Charlie Chan. Thank you so much for your assistance with the screening of "The Black Camel." You were there for me, and I appreciate you lending a helpful hand.

Aloha,

Steve