Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan's Most Worthy Opponent?

I've been wondering something . . . who would be Charlie's biggest opponent?

Not anybody from the Chan movies but in the larger world of fiction.

Me? I wonder what it would be like to have Charlie Chan come face-to-face with Fu Manchu! Expecially since . . . need I say?! . . . that both were played by Warner Oland?!

Virginia

Re: Charlie Chan's Most Worthy Opponent?

Wow! What a thought! I can't think of anybody who would be a greater challenge. Professor Moriarty
would be duck soup for Charlie and he would be next to come to mind.

Wo Fat from Hawaii Five-O would be my choice. With his connections to communist China and seemingly unlimited resources, he would be most difficult...

Dear Virginia,

Good question, and what a great choice on your part! What monumental a battle THAT would be: Charlie Chan vs. Fu Manchu (Oland vs. Oland)! It would be a very symbolic conflict as well, culturally.

Another Oland vs. Oland struggle could involve Chan against Chang, as Charlie Chan rides on the Shanghai Express, changing the story a bit, of course, but nearly all of the original characters could remain, including *** Fei, played by Anna May Wong, and Shanghai Lily (Marlene Dietrich!

Sincerely,
Rush

Great ideas! You all spurred me to wonder what it might have been like for Bela Lugosi's Tarnevarro and Boris Karloff's Gravelle to met . . . perhaps in Chan's living room . . . ?!

Oh, wait.

Maybe that's not such a great idea with all those kids running around!

Virginia