Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interesting TIME article on our favorite detective

Dear Roy,

I bought the magazine containing the article two nights ago. Decent review, though not perfect. It is so interesting to me to note how many Chan-related articles have appeared, thus stimulating the public interest, following the Great Chan Ban of seven years ago! This does not include the release of all of so may video products and book releases since that dark era. Poetic justice, certainly! It is always the case, isn't it - the more forbidden the fruit, the more desired the taste? Perhaps a backhanded "thank you so much" is due Charlie Chan's misguided foes?

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Interesting TIME article on our favorite detective

I agree, Rush. Appreciate your response.

I just read yet another article on Mr. Huang's book on the NPR website today. I quote here an excerpt on why he wrote the book: "The mystery of Charlie Chan is as deep as any "Confucius say." I have had to unravel it by tracing several dry streams to the source of long dormant wells. It wasn't hard to get them roiling again, like an old and faithful geyser in the American psyche that dependably gives insult. The clues I found in these backwaters would not always converge, but I have come to see this as the true nature of American legends: they need something foreign to make them live again."

I have added this book to my Amazon wish list. For us Chan fans, it appears to be a good read.

A link to the NPR article:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129424778