Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Remake lost Chans with CGI?

Hello,
*I hope I won't be lambasted or pilloried for my thoughts on the idea of remaking the currently classified as LOST "Charlie Chan Carries On" (1931), "Charlie Chan's Chance" (1932), "Charlie Chan's Greatest Case" (1933), and "Charlie Chan's Courage" (1934). I've seen this GREAT site has made those scripts available.
*I know Fox tried to recreate one or two of these on their special features releases, and while it was a nice try, I just wasn't too impressed.
*I figure if Fox, Warners, or whoever can't locate the "lost" Chans in Amsterdam, or Buenos Aires, or wherever, the films are sadly, truly, LOST. ("Charlie Chan in Paris," was the last "lost" found--right?)
*Okay, why not use CGI as was done with "Sky Captain, Tomorrow and Beyond," or the earlier "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within," which made headlines for attempting to create photo-realistic human actors. I know, both of these were box office duds (although, my main man, Robert Ebert liked them). Still in all, I think it would sure be a novel idea, and worth a try. I mean even if they were made as interactive "games," I'd still be onboard!
*Off topic: (Heck, I would love to see The full version of Marilyn Monroe's "Something's Got to Give." Of course, her estate would demand a lot of $ for the use of her image. (I also liked Doris Day's version, "Move Over Darling.")
*So, I guess I should don my flack jacket or suit of armour.

Re: Remake lost Chans with CGI?

I’m not sure it can be done adequately. Yes, I think backgrounds and masked characters like Spider-Man can be managed, but human faces tend to look unreal despite the most up to date imagining. I know everyone was sooo impressed by Avatar, but I thought the blue alien creatures did not look real at all. I can imagine the unexpressive face on a Charlie Chan CGI. A full animation cartoon would probably look better.