Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Damsel Detectives and Femme Fatales

Our beloved Chan movies have their fiendish female misteress' of crime . . . some more more than others.

There is the seductive spy in Olympics played by Katherine de Mille who leaves a question or two . . . . According to Evan (aka the Blot), there is no way that our lady of the white fox fur could get off that liner when it gets to Germany.

A second question (at least in what is left of Maven's mind) is how could she leave ALL OF THOSE CLOTHES behind on the ship?!?!

Then there is Lelah in Secret Service who plays a nitwit who raises quite a few questions as Mrs. Winters . . . for starters: how in the heck did she get the house wired for killing consequenses and was it her idiot idea to use the major magnet to make with murder with the gun in plain site?!

Makes me wonder about why did all the guys have fun detecting in the movies, from Charlie and Sherlock on, and women dtectives don't last long?!

We're talking before the advent of television because there were Nancy Drew who only had 4 movies, Hildegard Withers only had 8, and Nurse Sarah Keate had only a few (the number depends on whether you count remakes).

All the villainess in the movies were worthy of their hire in terms of being bad girls but the "lady detectives" could get downright irritating. Especially if you read the books and can compare them.

Nancy Drew was a whiny b . . . rat. and Withers was withering as played by Zasu Pitts.

Are there any real life any queens of the criminal world and/or damsels of the detective world you wish had been utilized in movies?!

The only one that I can think of is Nelly Bly and she was a reporter!

I take that back . . . there was Mata Hari but she was played by Greta Garbo but it was only a one-shot movie deal!

Any takers?

Virginia