Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chan/Apana, First Non-Caucasian Hero

To the Chan clan,

Now that Halloween is behind me, I am back to assisting a university student with his thesis on Chang Apana/Charlie Chan.

While working with this student, we have visited a number of Chan-related sites in Honolulu. Also, I have pointed out the factual errors regarding Apana and Hawaii in Yunte Huang's new book. [Shame on you, Mr. Huang for your lack of attention to the history of Hawaii.]

A new question has presented itself. Is Chang Apana / Charlie Chan the first non-Caucasian hero related to literature and film? Please remember that we're talking 1925-1926. Besides American cowboys, what heros came before Charlie Chan? Is the African-American slave in "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (1852) considered a hero?

If you know the answer, please let me hear from you. Thank you for your assistance.

Mahalo,

Steve

Re: Chan/Apana, First Non-Caucasian Hero

Steve -

I can't remember their names, but would any Native American heroes in the works of James Fenimore Cooper qualify? It has been decades since I read any Cooper, but I was thinking that there were a few portrayed as heroes.

Diana