Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
original Chan film posters (Warner Oland)

I am thinking about purchasing an original Warner Oland 6 sheet/CC in Shanghai. It seems to be in very good condition. Does anyone know what a fair price range is? If I have an idea of the range, I could engage in reasonable negotiations. Thank you (so much)!

Re: original Chan film posters (Warner Oland)

Dear Ms. Etheridge,

One place to begin your investigation would be eBay listings. On occasion, such items appear, and you could see what they sell for. At the same site, you might also look for items that have already been sold. You might also take a look at the web sites of some of the major auction houses for similar items. That could give you an idea.

Off-hand, your description of the poster in question seems to be in a condition that would demand a price somewhere the low 1,000s. A 6-sheet poster measures 81" x 81" inches, so we are speaking of a large item. Again, I am guessing, but, depending on the flexibility of the party who owns this poster as well as the overall condition of the item, you might be looking at between $2,000 and $5,000. (I might be tempted to toss out a low bid just to see what happens. You can always go higher. Harder to come down!)

Please check around, though, and see what such posters have sold for, especially Chan versions. You may even pay for an appraisal by a professional, should you feel so inclined.

I hope that this has been of at least some small measure of help to you. Best of luck to you, and, should you gain this wonderful poster, may it bring you the enjoyment that I believe it will...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: original Chan film posters (Warner Oland)

My apologies for this delayed thanks for your kind response. The 8 sheet is actually with a dealer in Austin. An independent appraiser has told me the $8K asking price is a good one, so this wonderful piece won;t be gracing my walls any time soon. :)