Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chan Conventions

Hello all, I am curious to know if there are any Chan Conventions on the horizon? My wife and I have always wanted to attend one--location is not a problem as we are willing to travel for good old Charlie! Any information would be great. Thanks in advance. Mike.

Re: Chan Conventions

Dear Mike,

The idea of holding a Charlie Chan convention has been discussed for some time. There was a Chan gathering which, as I recall, was a part of another, larger film convention back east about seven or eight years ago. At that event, Layne Tom, Jr., who played three different Chan sons in the Fox series, was prominantly in attendance. Since then, there has been nothing of note.

As I noted, the discussion is definitely open on the subject. Of course, the most wonderful possibility would be to hold a Chan convention in Chan's own Honolulu. This past summer, Steve Fredrick worked hard to put together a modest Earl Derr Biggers/Charlie Chan celebration in that city. I was fortunate to have been able to take part in that event, which featured the participation of actor James Hong who played Charlie Chan's Number One Son in the 1957 "New Adventures of Charlie Chan" television series. At that time, Steve and I seriously discussed the possibility - and realities - of holding a full-on Charlie Chan convention, perhaps even having an event or two at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

So, if enough fans of Charlie Chan could show enough interest in attending such an event sometime in the future, who knows? While my vote would certainly go for holding such a convention in Honolulu, living on the West Coast as I do, I can see the difficulty of other individuals committing to such an endeavor! Other locations should be put on the table, as well, with that in mind. San Francisco? Hollywood? New Orleans? New York City? All are Chan-related sites and would be good possibilities. Ah, but Honolulu...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Rush,
Thanks so much for filling me in on the possibilites of a Chan convention. My wife and I wanted to attend the James Hong featured gathering in Honolulu but only heard it had actually happened after the fact. I know that my wife and I would happily attend a convention in any of the great Chan related cities you mentioned. If there is any way we can be of any assistance in getting a convention together we would be more than happy to volunteer our services! At any rate, thanks for your response and here's to hoping a full blown Chan convention will happen in the near future. I can think of one great guest--you! Your contributions to the Fox Chan box sets are all informative and fun.
All the best, Mike

Dear Mike,

An interesting idea, a Charlie Chan convention. Hmm. Please see my message posted from January 15, 2011.

Steve