Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Warner Oland as Fu Manchu

Hello all,
I just finished watching Warner Oland as the nefarious Fu Manchu in "The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu (1929)," "The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (1930)," and "Daughter of the Dragon (1931)."
It's interesting to see Warner Oland in a non-Chan role, especially as a villain. (As much as I like the cheesy Christopher Lee "Fu Manchus," Oland manages to bring more humanity to the role as opposed to Lee's stone-cold villainy.)
Also, Anna May Wong, as Fu's daughter in the last Oland "Fu," really excels, and proves what an exotic beauty she was--an Asian Dietrich or Garbo.
I've always liked Jean Arthur as a great comedic and dramatic actress, but she's not at her best here (in the first two "Fu's"). She hasn't yet developed her acting chops, and it's understandable as these are very early talkies. I think the under-rated Neil Hamilton (later Commisioner Gordon on "Batman") did do a great job, though.
Also, I want to give a plug to a gentleman in Australia, (Trev at "Down Under DVD's") who has managed to compile a great list of hard to find films, and provides great artwork, packaging, and free shipping. I've never been disappointed with his offerings (and no, I don't get a commission;>)
Happy holidays to all,
~Teil