Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Incorrect assertions in dvd boxed sets of Warner Oland's Chan

I spent the Christmas holidays rediscovering Warner Oland as Charlie Chan, and subsequently watching most of his other sound films - from Fu Manchu to Dishonored to Shanghai to Bulldog Drummond. Net result? Renewed admiration for this very fine actor...and surprise that in several of the mini-documentaries accompanying the dvd sets, the producers let stand statements that Chan directors needed Oland drunk so his speech would slow down. The assertion was that he couldn't be understood otherwise. All one has to do is watch his performances in non-Chan roles to realize that this assertion is simply untrue, and does not give credit to a remarkably talented actor. Additionally, unlike many of his fellow actors of the time, Oland made the transition from silents to talkies with ease because of his extensive stage experience prior to entering the film business. In fact, could "business" be the key word here? Perhaps Fox was loathe to send Oland away for treatment because, in the Chan franchise, they had a money machine that depended on him and his interpretation of Chan, which was so beloved world wide? Early film history is scattered with actors who were enabled by studio execs in their tragic addictions because of fear for the bottom line. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

Re: Incorrect assertions in dvd boxed sets of Warner Oland's Chan

Dear Anna,

I respect and am very pleased to read your "righteous indignation" regarding the assertions regarding Warner Oland and his use of alcohol, particularly while Chan films were in production. We have an interview with Keye Luke (transcribed from a mid-1980s videotaped interview) where his mentions this situation. It can be found in our Study under "Keye Luke," elsewhere at this site at http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/id152.html. I think that you will find his comments interesting, and, perhaps, a bit more in line with your thoughts on the issue.

It is hard to say that the comments made by individuals in the extra material in the Fox boxed DVD sets should not be taken as being "incorrect," however, in my humble opinion. Many of the recollections are, indeed, related after the passage of many years, and many are often second-hand in nature, as I recall. The fact remains that Mr. Oland evidently enjoyed a drink or two. Was this encouraged at times as a means of bringing about a certain speech cadence? Possibly.

All this said, I am of the opinion that Oland's use of alcohol - the stuff of legend - has, perhaps, been somewhat exaggerated. When he walked off the set of "Charlie Chan at the Ringside," I feel that he was in the midst of a nervous breakdown more than an alcohol induced collapse. He was separated from his wife, Edith, and was probably under much stress, including the demands of the upcoming shooting schedule, which may have pushed him over the edge.

Thank you for your thoughts. I do agree that too much emphasis has too often been placed on Warner Oland's consumption of alcohol.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Incorrect assertions in dvd boxed sets of Warner Oland's Chan

Dear Rush,

Thanks for this insightful response. I am grateful that you spend so much time maintaining this site and responding to the musings of your readers. I'd say we have many of the same thoughts regarding Warner Oland and his alcoholism. Like you, I think he must have been in the midst of a breakdown when he walked off the set. The collapse of his 30-year marriage must have been a terrible blow. From all I have read, he and his wife were truly soulmates. And his work load over the previous few years had been breathtaking. As you say, the second and third hand comments made seventy years after the fact do need to be taken with a grain of salt. I just hate to see his obvious skill as an actor overshadowed by these "rumors." A final question: has anyone actually written a bio of Oland? I've been unable to find anything, and Larry Edmund's (famous) bookshop in Hollywood knows of nothing - in or out of print. Thanks again for all your hard work!