Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sidney Toler in Chan movie but not as Charlie Chan

Dear Kent,

Although it would have been one of those wonderful moments when the stars line up just right to offer a rare coincidence, no, Sidney Toler and Warner Oland were never in a film together, Chan or otherwise. Mr. Toler, on a number of occasions during his career, did play detectives and police officers. This could be the reason that you made the connection.

As I near my sixtieth spring, I know of those tricks you mention!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Hi Kent,

Could you possibly be thinking of a movie Toler made with William Powell called Double Wedding? Although not a Thin Man movie, it did match these two great actors. As an aside, Toler's wife in the movie was played by Mary Gordon who most recognize as Mrs. Hudson from the Holmes films (and who also was in Black Camel).

There's also a movie called Upperworld in which Toler plays a cop and the lead is Warren William, who played many different sleuths (Perry Mason, Philo Vance, the Lone Wolf)

Hi Kent,

The clue to your question is in your description of "local detective." Given that clue, I believe you may be thinking of one of two films.

1. "Blonde Venus" (1932 Paramount) starring Marlene Dietrich. Toler appears in this film, in a supporting role, as Detective Wilson. He shares two memorable scenes with Dietrich in this touching melodrama.

2. "A Night to Remember" (1943 Columbia) starring Loretta Young. Toler co-stars with the great Gale "Spider Woman" Sondergaard in this sparkling comedy-mystery. There's a bit of Charlie Chan in Toler's portrayal of Inspector Hawkins.

Hmm. I wonder what movie you are thinking of. Good luck in your quest.

The Other Steve

As a side note... Sidney Toler and Keye Luke appear together in the serial Smiling Jack (1942)... as a Chinese General and Captain respectively, throughout the serial..... only place I know of that they appear onscreen together.