Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Chan Convention - I Don't Think So

To all fans of Charlie Chan,

Based on a December 2010 message posted by Mike, on this website, I wish to address the reasons why I don't see a Chan convention happening any time soon.

There are several reasons why NOT to have a Charlie Chan convention. Please find a listing of my issues below:

1. Chan Film Actors. With the exception of five surviving actors (who are in their 80s and 90s), all the actors that appeared in the Chan films are dead. Ditto, the writers and the directors. Of the five surviving actors, only three of them appear at Los Angeles area movie convention shows. Only one actor travels outside of California.

2. Convention Site Location. Outside of Honolulu, there is no practical city to hold a Chan convention. According to the Biggers' novels, Charlie Chan's house was located on Punchbowl Hill in the South Seas city of Honolulu. Still standing today are the following Chan-related sites: the 1931 Honolulu Police Department Building, Chang Apana's grave site and house, the old docks of Honolulu Harbor, Honolulu's vintage Chinatown, and the Royal Hawaiian Hotel at Waikiki. The 1931 State Building used as Chan's office in the Monogram films ("Secret Service") was located in downtown Los Angeles. It was torn down in early 1976.

3. Expense - Site Location. The cost of renting a ballroom or a convention hall is very expensive. For example, the renting of a ballroom at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel is $500.00 per night.

4. Fan Interest. There does not appear to be a strong interest from film fans and/or book fans for a Charlie Chan convention. Based on the poor response to my 2009-2010 postings for a Chan convention, I believe this statement to be true. During the two years that my announcement was posted on this website, only two people expressed an interest.

5. Film Presentations. Based on recent conversations with Hollywood studio personnel, the films of Charlie Chan are NOT licensed for public exhibition. The DVDs are licensed ONLY for home use. I have been told that legal action will be taken against anybody who shows Chan films for public exhibition.

6. Air Fare and Hotel Accommodations. Air fare and hotel accommodations are expensive for guest speakers and Chan fans alike. Average round trip from the Mainland to Honolulu is about $500.00. Waikiki hotel rates vary between $250 to $500 per night.

7. Lecturer's Fee. The fee for a Biggers lecturer to speak at a Chan convention is a minimum of $300 to a maximum of $500 per lecture.

8. Memorabilia. Even though the Chan posters and film stills are in public domain, the person controlling the images does NOT want to reproduce copies for sales to Chan fans at a Chan convention.

9. Topics of Discussion. Without any films to view, memorabilia to sell, and no guest speakers, what would we do at a Charlie Chan convention? Ask yourself this question: Would you pay $500 for air fare, and another $500 for a hotel room, to travel to a city and "talk story" about your favorite Chan book or film?

SUMMARY. Everything that a Chan convention can offer to Chan fans is currently being offer at Rush's website. For the past ten years, each Monday, Rush has provided us with a world-wide chat room for discussing the films and books of Charlie Chan. Also, his website promotes the sales of Chan DVDs and Chan books.

Sorry Charlie, but I don't see a convention happening for you anytime soon.

Steve

Re: A Chan Convention - I Don't Think So

The points you bring up on why a Chan convention wouldn't work are all obviously valid and logical. I guess I must have been one of the two people to write you about my interest in a Chan convention a couple of years ago. In defense of a small niche Chan convention possibly working I suggest similar niche conventions like that of Doctor Who which runs in Los Angeles and Chicago on a yearly basis (the present Who convention in Chicago has run for over ten years--several of those years before the recent high profile revival). Many of these conventions are loaded with guests who write about the series and other speakers who put the program into its appropriate cultural context. Two possible guests at a Chan convention could be film historians or authors who have written about Chan. There was (I'm not sure it still takes place)a Sherlock Holmes convention that ran at a Hyatt in Chicago and since the Rathbone/Bruce films made up a part of that convention and very few actors or writers from those films survive, it's not outside the realm of possibility to hold out a chance for a small convention without central actors or creators involved in the event. I only thought a Chan convention would be cozy and fun. I didn't realise the extent of your frustration with the idea but then again I have never tried to put together a convention! Maybe a combined Chan/Holmes convention would be more viable? A niche convention wouldn't have to take place in Hawaii or be a huge affair. I was curious if there was a small gathering in the works anywhere. As I can see, there doesn't seem to be at present.