Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Long Time No See: Confessions Of A Hollywood Gangster

I just finished reading Marc Lawrence's memoir Long Time No See, which was published back in 1991. Of course all Chan fans know him for his three Chan film appearances (most notably in Charlie Chan At The Wax Museum) but his sometimes brutally honest memories of his life in films and the far reaching consequences of his blacklisting after appearing before the House Un-American Activities Committee in Washington is sobering stuff. His perspective is unadorned and sobering indeed. Sadly there is no mention of his Chan films but there is a fine promotional photo included in the rather large photo section at the end of the book. I believe he self published this book and I am simply recommending it as an interesting read from an interesting actor. Has anyone else on this site read it? If so what are your thoughts on it?

Re: Long Time No See: Confessions Of A Hollywood Gangster

Yes I have read the book, I have a signed copy from Marc and he wrote me two letters back in the 90's. I enjoyed the book...but much more I enjoyed him as a actor/writer/person.

Re: Long Time No See: Confessions Of A Hollywood Gangster

I agree that Marc Lawrence was a very fine actor and if his memoir is any indication, a natural, conversational writer. The copy I have of his book is also signed. It has a nice message too, referring to his old acting teacher Michael Chekov. It was for someone else but it was a nice surprise when I received the book to see Marc's autograph. He certainly led a full and long life!