Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: a few questions that have been on our minds over the years

Dear David,

Welcome!

Interesting questions. The first one I can answer: Yes, that is Warner Oland singing to the children on the ship to Shanghai!

The next question I will try to answer using pure conjecture! It is certain that the term "glope" that you note is not a term of endearment or praise. Maybe it was something, as you suggest, of a varyation on the wird "dope." Perhaps something of a combination of "glom" and "dope"?

Your third question offers us all simething to watch for closely the next time we view "Castle in the Desert." This we will do later this year as a group when that film comes around for its turn as our featured movie for our Monday Evening Chat and Film Viewing.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Am glad that it is not just my hubby, Jerry, and I who sit there and wonder these things.

We will be sure and watch "Castle" tonight.

"Scarlet Clue" is one of our favorites, and we have always thought that they should have arrested someone else for helping Mrs. Marsh. We used to work in a large building, and use the freight elevator. She would have needed someone to help her get that guy's body out of the bottom of that elevator shaft, and up to the 10th floor, even if she used a dolly or cart of some kind.

As for that word gloop, we need to find an 80 or 90 year old to ask.

Diana

Back to what Mrs. Marsh said - last night we had "Scarlet Clue" on, and as I wasn't totally "watching" it, but it was on in the background, I guess I heard "gloop" in another way. It almost sounded like she said "galoot", which is an oaf, or a clumsy person.

On the other hand, I decided to play my DVD with subtitles, and sure enough the subtitles read "gloop". So now what do I think? I looked up gloop in the dictionary, but I don't know if that helped me any. Gloop is a vicous, sticky substance. My "Chambers" definition of gloop AS A NOUN is: "thick viscous liquid, esp. a glob, splodge or slow drip or dribble of such; sentimentality, mush or pulp".

Maybe that last part pertains?

Any ideas English students out there?

Diana