Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: classic movie collections

Hi Tracy,

Like so many of the Chan family fans, I enjoy other classic films from the golden age of Hollywood filmmaking. Let me see if I can address some of your points of interest.

For me, I began collecting films in 1970. As of this date, I own over 3,700 VHS tapes, over 1,000 DVDs, and around 600 16mm film prints.

Included among my prize treasures are: 1) travelogues of Old Hawaii (circa 1920s), 2) soundies of Hawaii's Big Bands (1940s), 3) silent movies of swimming lengend Duke Kahanamoku.

Among my 16mm films, I own an original TV print of "The Black Camel" (1931). The print is from 1953.

On a personal note, I treasure the Hollywood films/TV series I worked on during the 1980s. In my collection, I have the scripts, some photographs, DVD copies, VHS tapes, and 16mm films of the films I worked on. This is my special collection.

My 16mm film collection was put together during the 1990s, prior to the establishment of ebay, from other film collectors. I am grateful to the other collectors who parted with their material in order for me to create the largest private collection in the state of Hawaii.

See you at the movies.

Hawaii_Steve

Re: classic movie collections

So many movies . . . so many stories!

I guess that the one I'd pick at this point is "One Exciting Night."

Mary Roberts Rinehart's "The Bat" was an early book that helped me get hooked on mysteries. She had turned her earlier story "The Circular Staircase" into the Broadway play about the Bat.

Well, I got Staircase and a copy of The Bat plus all three versions of the movie. Unfortunately I found out about another movie version along the way. . . .

Surprise of surprises . . . D. W. Griffith did a bootleg version in 1922 called "One Exciting Night" which I finally got my hot little fists on a VHS tape of just a few years ago.

Side note: The hero is Henry Hull who played the Werewolf of London with Warner Oland in 1935. . . . You never know where a Chan connection will turn up!

Virginia