Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Like the Site

Matt and Steve: In the words of Charlie Chan: "Thank you so much". I'm glad to be apart of the family :)

I have checked out the site, and I must say that Rush and all that contributed have done a great job representing everything about Charlie Chan. It's great to learn more about the Charlie Chan movies and those that were involved in it and the website is very informative! I would love to join the chat and hope I can get the opportunity to do so in the near future. I don't think I'll be able to today though but the idea of watching the movies with other Chan fans and chatting about it sounds great. I don't know anyone right now, sadly, who likes or even knows of the Charlie Chan movies so it's a lonely passion of mine I guess you can say.

Did I see Rush Glick in some of the extras that were on the Charlie Chan DVDs? Those extras were really insightful. I started watching Charlie Chan because they seemed like fun who-done-it mysteries, the type of mysteries I enjoyed. But the movies did a lot more than just entertained me. Their historical nature has intrigued me and sparked a curiousity that I never thought I had. I found a lot of those DVD extras to be very interesting and I must say, I shed a tear when it covered Warner Oland's death. Warner Oland being one of my favorite Chans, although Sidney Toler is right up there with him.

Steve: You mentioned how great the cinematography, writing, acting, ect were in the classic movies. I completely agree although I wish I could say that I know much about films. I unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to watch many of the classics but I do appreciate them and their artistry. I think this was the point I was making in my first post. It's very upsetting to me that these films don't get more attention nowadays because they'd deamed "old" or just because they're in b&w. It's sad, but with people like you and many others who keep these movies and even television shows alive and, especially with DVDs nowadays and the restoration process, it's nice to know that they won't disappear and be forgotten.

I love the old b&w "monster" movies. The old Frankenstein and Dracula movies, for example. I actually watch them for Halloween every year (it's sort of a tradition of mine heh). To be honest, I actually think some movies are better in b&w. Mysteries and horror in b&w actually seem to go well together. But then again, it may be because I'm accustomed to it. You see when I was a kid growing up in the 80s, I was somewhat of an insomniac. I would stay up very late watching Nick-at-Nite and I grew to love the old classic tv shows whether they were in color or b&w, it didn't matter. I'm a very nostalgic person.

I believe my liking for the classics also came from my Grandfather. I remember after "discovering" Charlie Chan, I told him about it. We had a nice conversation about the movies and he then told me about, when he was growing up, how the movie theatres would have serials each week (I believe) that you could see. It was a very nice conversation that I will remember, especially now that he has passed away.

I'm sure I'm just one in a million who will say they want to write a novel, but I hope someday to write a mystery novel or story that will bring back all the wonderful elements that Charlie Chan incorporates.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcomes. And Steve, if I ever get to Hawaii, I'd love to go on your Ghost Tour that I read about on your website. It sounds like a lot of fun!