Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Book Cover Question

I have sincerely enjoyed reading this message board and I am amazed at the knowledge I see presented. I am a huge Charlie Chan fan, love this website, but I have one of those questions that will probably make you all roll your eyes and question why in the world I'm such an idiot. I have two vintage Charlie Chan books I'm getting ready to add to my website. Neither are Bobbs-Merrill copies, they are both published by the Curtis Publishing Company. Here's my problem. I've been researching these two guys for two days. (Like anyone really cares, huh?) First: "Behind That Curtain", by Readers League of America, 1928 and my copy is blue with orange embossed letters. I found copies that were gray with blue letters and green with black letters, no orange. I gave up and moved on to book two: "The Black Camel", Grosset & Dunlap, 1929 and it is blue with black embossed letters. Here I found green with orange letters, blah, blah, blah. You guys get the drift. Do any of you very wise and worthy ladies and gentlemen have any wisdom you could share with this unworthy fool? I will be so blessed by your help, really!

Re: Book Cover Question

Dear Deanna,

Welcome! I hope that you will enjoy this humble website as you have the time to take a peek at its various nooks and crannies.

Being neither worthy nor wise, I am not sure what your overall question is regarding the books mentioned. If you are perplexed over cover variations, that could be due to different press runs, I would guess...and only guess! If you search the Internet, you may be able to see other such cover variations.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Book Cover Question

Many thanks for your assistance. Yes, you are so correct. It does have to do with the press run and which edition and which printing of that edition. It's just that in the bibliocratic (I just made that word up, by the way) I live in the descriptions must be as accurate as possible. These two were written prior to the time so much wonderful information was forced to be printed within the book itself. I have looked online but find the oddity of one book being the color the other book should be. Oh, well. I shall try my humble best to get by. I had just crossed my fingers hoping one of you honorable members may have just that bit of information I may need. Be well. Thanks Again!