Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is it possible Charlie may end up in some "Greatest Detective" DVD set?

I noticed at Deep Discount.com that there was a movie title for an upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie collection. What was intriguing was that it has various "volumes". This is the title in reference...

"The World's Most Famous Detectives, Vol. X"

Right where you have "X" you can put in a number 1 thru 4 and the Google search will give you the particular detective for that series.

Volume 1's highlighted detective is: David Janssen
Volume 2's highlighted detective is: Dragnet
Volume 3's highlighted detective is: Dick Tracy
Volume 4's highlighted detective is: Sherlock Holmes

There is nothing indicated for volume 5 yet so I assume this is going to come out soon. Though in just looking at what the situation is, I wonder if by chance the company releasing the DVDs will include Charlie Chan. Charlie is pretty well known for being a famous detective in film. I just don't see them not having him included, but it is entirely possible that the particular company does not cover him in any upcoming volume.

I just had to post the speculative news. It is just too hard to not entertain a strong possibility for more Chan films.

Re: Is it possible Charlie may end up in some "Greatest Detective" DVD set?

Hi Timothy,

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing. My initial reaction is that these series is focusing on public domain titles. Dragnet, Holmes, and Dick Tracy have had multiple releases int the PD market. I am not familiar with Jansen's movie output (he'll always be Richard Kimball or Harry O to me :) )

Since Chan is not PD the chances of him being included are not great. Fortunately we do have most of the series films out on DVD to enjoy.

Steve

Re: Is it possible Charlie may end up in some "Greatest Detective" DVD set?

well thanks a lot for that info. I didn't know that Sherlock was mostly PD. I do need some Basil Rathborne Holmes movies. He is quite a good actor in the role.