Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Other Mysteries Like Charlie Chan? [2 Movies I've Seen]

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. I'd like to share two movies that I've watched recently. Both of which are in public domain and can be watched freely online or downloaded if you'd like from archive.org. While not detective movies in the form of Charlie Chan, they are pretty interesting mysteries. I thought they were pretty good.

The first is Rene Clair's "And Then There Were None" (1945) based on the Agatha Christie novel "Ten Little Indians". A group of people are invited to a house on an island where they're stranded and mysteriously disappear one-by-one.
You can watch it at:
http://www.archive.org/details/AndThenThereWereNone

The second movie is a british movie called The Ghost Train from 1941. A group of strangers on a train are stranded and must spend the night in a supposedly haunted train station.
You can watch it at:
http://www.archive.org/details/TheGhostTrain

Re: Other Mysteries Like Charlie Chan? [2 Movies I've Seen]

The Bulldog Drummond's are one of the longer series... and almost all available from Alpha Video at very reasonable prices. The two early Ronald Colman versions are excellent.. as are all the John Howards..
Enjoy

Re: Other Mysteries Like Charlie Chan? Miss Marple

How could I forget one of the most interesting and fun mystery series from the 1960s.

In four delightful British films, Margaret Rutherford as Miss Jane Marple. These films are shown on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and are available in a DVD box set.

There was also the Disney Hardy Boy serials of the 50s as well as Canadian series of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew in the mid 90s. Jim Hutton stared as Ellery Queen and George Peppard as Banajek in two fine early 70s series. Tim Hutton played Nero Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin about 10 years ago and Gene Wilder did a couple of really good "Cash Carter" TV mysteries. I should also mention the great PBS Mysteries in the early 1970s, Lord Peter Wimsey, Father Brown, Joan Hickson's Miss Marple, Tommy and Tuppence, Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes and Derek Jacoby's "Cadfiel." Kelly Martin did a good "Mystery Woman" series a few years back with Clarence Williams III as her sidekick. I found the Encyclopedia Brown series quite likable. Father Dowling was a bit light, but I was rather fond of Tom Bosley and Tracey Nelson in the lead roles.

Although un-Chan like, I always have loved The Avengers, especially the episodes with Diana Rigg

Dear Lin,

I, too, enjoyed that series.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick