Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Part 2: How I Capture Frames from Scenes from a CC Movie

In this post, I'll just quickly go over the methods I use to take a screenshot of a scene from a Charlie Chan movie for my game, for anyone who's curious or would like to help out and contribute with the game.

There are many ways you can do this, the way I do it is quick enough and simple.

While there are many different kinds of programs for playing a dvd on your computer, I use Windows Media Player (which comes with Windows) and a method of printing the screen as explained in my previous post. Obviously this requires having the DVD of the movie and a DVD drive on your computer for playing DVDs.

Basically, I play the movie in Windows Media Player and when I get to a scene I want to capture, I pause the movie.

I make Media Player's window small enough to be the size of the picture that I can post on the message boards. By doing this, I avoid having to resize the image later on (which you can do as well using a photo editing program if you like).

Then I just use Alt + Print Screen to get a screenshot of just the Windows Media Player window and then paste that in MS Paint. I can then quickly, using Paint's selection tool, select just the portion of the movie I want to save.

That's about it! However, there's one good feature in Windows Media Player that helps a lot when capturing a particular scene in a CC movie.

In Windows Media Player (at least for Vista), if you click on the View menu, then Enhancements, you should see a menu item called "Play Speed Settings". When you click on that, it'll bring up a panel at the bottom of Windows Media Player.

Near the bottom is two arrow buttons side-by-side, one pointing to the left and the other to the right. While the movie is paused, by clicking on the right arrow button, it lets you go frame-by-frame through the movie. This is perfect for finding the exact frame you'd like to capture!

Once you have captured the frame you want and saved it to an image file, you can upload it to a picture hosting site. I use Photobucket, it's free and easy enough to upload your pictures to. From there, copy the link to the picture that the site provides (typically I copy the HTML link to the picture) and you can just paste it into the message board post if you want.

Anyway, that's how I get the pictures from the CC movies. Again, hope this all helped someone who was curious or wanted to be able to do this. Feel free to ask any questions if you like.