Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Charlie Chan Game (Guess the Movie) - Change of Schedule?

They were being very proactive, in being "green" and "recycling" some footage. My husband noticed it several years ago. I had not paid that much attention, I guess, not noticing that it really was showing up in two different films.

I do hope that you enjoy the challenge,
Diana

DMC
They were being very proactive, in being "green" and "recycling" some footage. My husband noticed it several years ago. I had not paid that much attention, I guess, not noticing that it really was showing up in two different films.

I do hope that you enjoy the challenge,
Diana

I do like a challenge Thanks. But I have to ask one question: these two movies that contain the scene, are they with Oland or Toler and were officially released? I haven't seen some of the officially unreleased CC movies yet (like Red Dragon) or any but one with Roland Winters unfortunately

I'm thinking it must be some stock footage or some minor scene like that so I'll definitely have to think about it. As long as it's from one of the Fox volumes or TCM boxset or Chanathology, then I'm sure I must've seen it. I hope I can figure this out but I bet someone else might before me

Yes, it is in a set available on DVD.

I think the fact that a scene was reused pretty much says it all about who the maker was, and thereby the actor's name is a given.

(As you can see, I am trying not to give too many clues.)

Diana

DMC
Yes, it is in a set available on DVD.

I think the fact that a scene was reused pretty much says it all about who the maker was, and thereby the actor's name is a given.

(As you can see, I am trying not to give too many clues.)

Diana

While I do like a challenge, unfortunately this one would be pretty tough without some clues I'm afraid. It would be pretty time consuming to try to figure out what scene was reused in two movies out of about 33 CC movies that I own.

I'm not sure how reusing a scene would make the company guessable (unless I'm missing something..) but I'd have to assume Monogram? And that would mean Toler as Chan but then that only cuts down the list of movies to about 21.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to watch all of them to figure it out. I usually have very limited time lately to begin with. Obviously the scene was a minor scene such as stock footage or something that could obviously just be reused. Could it have to do with a boat or a car scene (as there were many CC movies that either took place on a boat or had a car scene in some way)? I could see parts reused from those types of scenes.

Or maybe I'm missing something..maybe someone else might know? I think it's interesting that there's a scene that was reused, unfortunately I just don't have the time to watch them all. While I could keep my eyes open next time I watch the movies, it might takes months and even then I might not even notice heh. Your husband has a good eye though to have noticed!

both are Monogram films...hint, hint

Thanks MysteryMan..I kind of assumed it was Monogram's movies with Toler.

DMC, first off I appreciate you giving me the challenge. I don't get to play my own game so...

All I was saying in my previous post was that even Charlie Chan or Sherlock Holmes needs a clue to solve a mystery I know it's a Toler movie but off the top of my head, trying to go by memory, I can't imagine what scene would be reused. Unfortunately, my studies don't allow me to watch movies often. I try to get to a movie a week for my game but even that's tough to do.

All I can do is keep my eyes open next time around and see if I catch the reused scene. Just not sure when that might be.

RChanFan, do we suppose Mystery Man knows, based on what he hinted at?

In the first movie that the scene was shown in, my husband thought it was a silly scene, so I think that is why he picked up on it in a subsequently made movie. They only used a shortened clip of the earlier sequence, the second time around.

Maybe Mystery Man knows. shall we let it sit for others to figure out?

Diana

DMC
RChanFan, do we suppose Mystery Man knows, based on what he hinted at?

In the first movie that the scene was shown in, my husband thought it was a silly scene, so I think that is why he picked up on it in a subsequently made movie. They only used a shortened clip of the earlier sequence, the second time around.

Maybe Mystery Man knows. shall we let it sit for others to figure out?

Diana

I'd still love to figure it out. I'll continue to try to think about it. It's tempting to pull out all the Toler movies and just watch them straight through to find out but unfortunately I'd first have to figure a way to stop time for a few hours heh. It's definitely a good mystery..for all of us who don't know.

It does sound like MysteryMan knows. I'll think about what you said: being a silly scene.

Yep...I Know! Another hint: They Both have "S" in the title.......

MysteryMan
Yep...I Know! another hint: The Both have "S" in the title.......

Now wait..does that mean they start with an S or they just have an 's' somewhere in the title name. Good thing you didn't say they have a 'C' in the title because then it wouldn't be much of a hint since they're all titled "Charlie Chan something-something" lol

Well at least that hint will give me some direction, thanks.

On Second Thought..

RChanFan
MysteryMan
Yep...I Know! another hint: The Both have "S" in the title.......

Now wait..does that mean they start with an S or they just have an 's' somewhere in the title name. Good thing you didn't say they have a 'C' in the title because then it wouldn't be much of a hint since they're all titled "Charlie Chan something-something" lol

Well at least that hint will give me some direction, thanks.

Actually on second thought, perhaps knowing if the titles start with 'S' might make it too easy. So let's just say they have 's' in the title for now and see if I can figure it out

I Figured It Out DMC!

I figured out what scene was reused! The strangest thing was, it was one of the scenes I was thinking about when you first brought up the challenge, however I couldn't place the first movie it appeared in. In fact, the first movie it appeared in was the only Monogram movie that I haven't rewatched recently!

Then when MysteryMan said the titles contained 's' in it, those two movies actually were the first to pop into my head. Sure enough, they both had the scene! So thanks to MysteryMan for that and thank you DMC (and your husband) for the challenge and actually bringing this up, because I didn't even realize this scene was in both movies (or at least not consciously heh).

I've provided three screenshots of the scene. If there's anyone else who would like to guess which movies the scene is from, I won't name the movie titles.

Scene1

Scene2

Scene3

Re: I Figured It Out DMC!

Oh, I am glad that you figured it out. I was beginning to feel guilty for causing you such a problem, but didn't want to take away the challenge for others.

Now they all have an extra "game", and should have fun.

Re: I Figured It Out DMC!

DMC
Oh, I am glad that you figured it out. I was beginning to feel guilty for causing you such a problem, but didn't want to take away the challenge for others.

Now they all have an extra "game", and should have fun.

Ah no reason to feel guilty. I usually love challenges and puzzles.

Reminder Everyone - New Round Sunday at 5 EST

Round 7 of The Charlie Chan Game will be this Sunday at 5pm EST.

Also, I'm looking into a new game that maybe you guys will all like but I'm not sure if and when I'll get it going...so I won't say anymore until I know for sure

Re: Reminder Everyone - New Round Sunday at 5 EST

Ahhhhhh....I Love Mystery and Suspense!

Re: Reminder Everyone - New Round Sunday at 5pm EST

hehe same here MysteryMan