Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roland Winters

Dear RDH,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed Roland Winters' portrayal of Charlie Chan. Many find it difficult to accept his take on Chan after the two greats, Warner Oland and Sidney Toler who preceded him! I agree that his Charlie Chan is worthy of positive praise.

The good news is that, yes, the other Winters Charlie Chan films are available on DVD. Fairly recently, Warner Brothers (with TCM), who holds the rights to the final 11 Chan pictures, including the six with Roland Winters, released five of these, including the first of the Winters pictures, "The Chinese Ring." These are available in a collection titled: "TCM Spotlight: Charlie Chan Collection." As of today, the remainder are yet to be released by Warner/TCM, but there is the likelihood that they will, once clean copies of the final seven are found, and that has proven difficult!

The less good news is that you can still obtain the "missing" films only through the "grey market" via a number of sellers via the Internet. That is really the only way at present, but that will hopefully change one day soon.

However, the vast majority of Charlie Chan films are available in authorized, commercially produced DVD sets. As noted above, all we lack are the final seven entries in the series. Not too bad, considering what was available less than ten years ago!

I hope that this information has been of some help to you..

Sincerely,
Rush Glick