Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Writing in Tiny's autograph book

Does anyone know what it says? Tonight, as we watched "Circus", my husband wondered "what is Charlie writing in Tiny's autograph book?".

I looked around, on the home website, but didn't chance upon it. Husband thinks there are too many characters for just "Charlie Chan". I am sure Oland would be very particular in what he was depicted as writing, even if he didn't actually do the writing himself.

Ideas, anyone?

TYSM, in advance, Diana

Re: Writing in Tiny's autograph book

Dear DMC,

Yours is a good question, and, perhaps we can get an answer which we can then share at our humble site. Your are very correct in assuming that what was penned by Mr. Chan is more than simply "Charlie Chan," which amounts to three characters (that are seen at our Entrance page among the opening text). It is probably something to the effect of a cordial greeting and best wishes. I also suspect that the actual writing may have been done by Keye Luke.

Sincerely,
Rush

Thanks, Rush. Also, did Keye do the drawings in "Paris"? I have always wondered that.

Diana

I'd have to look to be sure but my bet's on Luke doing the picture of his doing the canoe with the girl (Bo Ling, who was also # 1 daughter in Black Camel) in Shanghai.

She's also in another sequel/remake: Calling Philo Vance, an entry that was The Kennel Club set against WWII with airplane plans instead of Chinese art at its core. SHe was the housekeeper replacing James Lee, the original's houseboy.

Virginia

Virginia, thanks for the feed back. I do like, and have watched the Philo Vance movies. I haven't seen them enough to have recognized her, though.

Yes, I did figure Luke had done the canoe drawing (in Shanghai, wasn't it?).

Diana

Yep!

I redid my answer (twice!) because of at least two boo-boos I found. Suffice it to say that the Old Movie Maven ain't perfect!

Virginia