Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan Reference in Dennis the Menace

DMC
Fan - The only movie that I can think of that has #1 son involved with trap doors is "Opera". And, there was a tree on stage in that opera. We just rewatched the movie, but did not see anything conclusive. Maybe someone else can spot something.

Another "trap door" movie is "Treasure Island", but that is #2 son, but perhaps Dennis does not keep track of the numbers of the sons?

Diana

I was thinking Treasure Island as well. Since Dennis couldn't actually hear the tv perhaps he was mistaken. Although Opera would make sense as well if that was one of the sets they had. Seems more likely they were referencing Treasure Island with the trap doors though.

Fan - Opera has #1 son, AND more trap doors I think. He and Gravelle (Karloff) are always going through the trap doors. Diana

DMC
Fan - Opera has #1 son, AND more trap doors I think. He and Gravelle (Karloff) are always going through the trap doors. Diana

You might be right. Of course we'll never know for sure, but I think we can assume that if Dennis was correct and it was number 1 son, then it would most likely have been At the Opera.

RChanfan,

Thanks for the info. I love these little long forgotten references. I'm not surprised that C.C. was still alive and well on TV viewers minds in the 1950's. The pace of life, and entertainment was so much slower.

Thanks again...and see ya some Monday night on Chat...janet

JaninPenna
RChanfan,

Thanks for the info. I love these little long forgotten references. I'm not surprised that C.C. was still alive and well on TV viewers minds in the 1950's. The pace of life, and entertainment was so much slower.

Thanks again...and see ya some Monday night on Chat...janet

Yep, I agree. I thought it was amusing to hear the CC movie being mentioned. In fact at first I thought I was hearing things heh. Hopefully I'll be in the chat today (Monday), always a fun time!

Episode #1.22: "Dennis and the TV Set" (3/13/1960) was directed by Charles T. Barton, the same man who directed "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" (1948).

The TV series "Dennis the Menace" was a product of Screen Gems, the television division of Columbia Pictures. Broadcast on Sunday nights over the CBS television network (1959-63).

Screen Gems/Columbia Pictures did not own any Charlie Chan films, so they would have had to paid a fee for the use of a Charlie Chan clip on their "Dennis" TV series.

In order to avoid paying a fee, Screen Gems/Columbia would have used a clip from their own film library or used a clip from a public domain film. During the 1950s, Columbia produced a number of low-budget horror/sci-fi films. Mostly likely, Screen Gems/Columbia used a "dark and spooky" clip from their own film library.

To me, the TV image reminds me of desert scenes featured in the sci-fi classics "It Came From Outer Space" (1953) and "Tarantula" (1955). Both Universal films have scenes shot in the desert with cactus and big rocks.

Never the less, this is a very nice reference to movie detective Charlie Chan.

Very interesting Steve! Thanks for the info! Most likely it was from one of those horror flicks. I actually don't think I've seen either of those two movies you mentioned, unfortunately.

It reminded me of a scene from Charlie Chan In Rio when Jimmy and the maid are outside dancing and Joanie comes stumbling through the brush, of course I seriously doubt that really is what it is