Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan film 1929 silent "His Captive Women"

Dear/Sirs:
I do apologize for the previous typing errors I just now noticed.
I am trying to find out if the 1929 silent Charlie Chan film "His Captive Women" is available or was it a "LOST" film. This film title appeared on the information sheet that is provided in Volume 1 of Charlie Chan films. I have searched everwhere to see if it also was published as a novel.
The Charlie Chan novel "Keeper of the Keys" I do have in book form therefore does anyone know if this title was ever put on film.

Sincerely Ralph Antonelli
rantonelli@cox.net

Re: Charlie Chan film 1929 silent "His Captive Women"

His Captive Woman
(1929) American
B&W : Eight reels / 8305 feet
Directed by George Fitzmaurice

Cast: Milton Sills [Officer Thomas McCarthy], Dorothy Mackaill [Anna Janssen], Gladden James [Alastair De Vries], Jed Prouty [Fatty Fargo], Sidney Bracey [Means], Gertrude Howard [Lavoris Smythe], Marion Byron [Baby Meyers], George Fawcett [Howard Donegan], William Holden [the court judge], Frank Reicher [the district attorney], August Tollaire [the governor of the island], Doris Dawson

First National Pictures, Incorporated, production. / Scenario by Carey Wilson, with dialogue by Paul Perez, from the short story “Changling” by Brian Oswald Donn-Byrne. Cinematography by Lee Garmes. Intertitles by Paul Perez. Edited by Stuart Heisler. Presented by Richard A. Rowland. / © 11 February 1929 by First National Pictures, Incorporated [LP105]. Released February? 1929. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. Western Electric Vitaphone sound-on-disc sound system. / The film was also released in the USA in eight reels (at 7692 feet) by First National Pictures, Incorporated, on 3 February 1929. / Silent film, with talking sequences, synchronized music and sound effects.

Drama.

Survival Status UNKNOWN)
Listing updated: 17 October 2009

Hopefully this will turn up with the lost Chan films.
It was a story written by Brian Oswald Donn-Byrne the story "Changeling"

here is a link to the book: The Changeling

Sheesh. That woman in the photo is wearing a bunch of bananas for a skirt. And here thought Carmen Miranda wearing a fruit salad on her head was a bit odd. Does Lady GaGa know about this?

Dear Mr. Antonelli,

Thank you for your interest. As Virginia noted below, "His Captive Women" is not a Charlie Chan film or book. I think that a little research on the Internet will result in more information for you on that particular title.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Hello Rush Glick:

Thank you so very much for your kind and quick reply.

Most Sincerely Ralph