Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: HHMMMMMMMMMMM, interesting idea...

I think I am with you, it seems impossible to improve on the early movies. That new Holmes movie doesn't look too appealing to me, it looks more like a movie that a teenage boy would like. But, they buy the tickets now days, not old fogies like me.

My daughter wonders who could play Chan, wondering if Jackie Chan could. I think he could play it OK, if they didn't turn it in to the usual Jackie Chan movie. I think Jackie is getting old enough to play Charlie (we wouldn't want a young Charlie, least I wouldn't), and if he played it more like Oland did, that might be OK.

Well, those or my thoughts.
Diana

P.S. Merry Christmas everyone

I think that a Charlie Chan film could be made today, but would it be a "good" Charlie Chan film? That is, would it stand the test of time as the Chan movies from the series proper have? My doubts outweigh my hopes, sadly, but I would love to be proven wrong!

As for an actor who would portray Charlie Chan, yes, Jackie Chan, perhaps, but, inevitably, martial arts comes to mind! Too much "baggage" in my humble opinion, and certainly not nearly enough girth! One possibility, I would humbly submit, would be Sammo Hung. Interestingly, he is another actor in the martial arts - and in fact, Jackie Chan - realm. He has the "look", I feel, and is the right age, too!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Rush -

This actor looks good, for sure. Guess I had never heard of him, I don't get out to movies, and only watch documenteries and old movies on TV.

Diana

Dear Diana,

Actually, I found him mainly by looking around on the Internet and doing a little research. My viewing habits pretty closely match yours, as I, too, don't get the chance to see many films, and count it a moment of good fortune when I find the time to do so!

I recall seeing another gentleman of Asian, possibly Chinese heritage, in a TV commercial a couple of years ago who also looked the part. In fact, that was the the first thought that came to mind for me as I glimpsed him!

Sincerely,
Rush