Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Birmingham Brown poll...two days left!

Dear Rush,

Personally, I found the Mantan Moreland's polls confusing. There wasn't enough of an explaination about what Mr. Moreland does in each of his Chan films.

As for his best performance in a Charlie Chan film, I have to agree with Diana. In most of the Chan films, Mr. Moreland has a few moments to do his comic bits, but in "Dark Alibi," he is at his funniest. Mr. Moreland is comfortable with his fellow performers and he is relaxed with the script, and he really lets it rip with his comedy scenes. He lights up the screen in "Dark Alibi."

It is unfortunate that "Dark Alibi" is missing from the poll.

In her posting, Diana makes a good point. She, and I suspect other members, were unaware that a Moreland poll was happening. During the holiday season, people may have been busy with other things and won't paying attention to the Moreland polls.

If I were you, I would through out the poll results, re-think a better way of presenting this [good] idea, and then try it again. I would select specific memorable scenes of Mr. Moreland, not the films themselves. After all, aren't we talking about his performances in the films?

Beyond that, I think we can all agree that Mantan Moreland was a truly wonderful performer. When the Monogram scripts were weak, Mr. Moreland brighten up the pictures.

My hat is off to Mantan Moreland.

Happy New Year.

Hawaii_Steve

Re: Birmingham Brown poll...two days left!

With apologies to all who missed out on the previous three groups of "Birmingham" Chan movies, the ones you saw in this "final" poll were the winners from the previous polls. (Please take a look at our past poll results to view these groups.) As for explanations for Mantan Moreland's performances in each of the films in each of the polls leading up to this final grouping, there is not enough room on the available poll ware to do more than list the film titles. If one had seen any or many of the Chan films where Birmingham Brown appeared, it was hoped that that that would be enough to have a favorie from among each group (3) leading to this final phase.

Again, I am very sorry about any confusion. In the future, I will be sure to remind everyone of our monthly poll questions through our Message Board.

Sincerely,
Rush