Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
odd questions about Warner Oland

Hey everyone!

I am going to play Warner Oland as Charlie Chan in an independent film called, "Distant Location".

I watched all the films I can find on the Internet to get ready to play him.

Now my odd questions...

It's not that important but if it get answered before this weekend, that's good, if not, that's ok.

What I have noticed, he always touch his fingers with his other hand. It looks like he is nervous when they were shooting his scenes. Is there any reasons why he does that?

Also do anyone know what his ring looks like on his left hand? I guess it is a good thing there's no close up shot of it so I have more freedom to choose what ring to wear.

If there's anything else I should know about him in preparing to play him, please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Re: odd questions about Warner Oland

That's really cool that you're going to be playing Warner Oland! So is this a film about Warner Oland or about Charlie Chan? Either way, I'd like to see it when it's done!

As for what you mentioned about Warner touching his fingers at times...I've noticed that as well. I think it's just a quirk he gave Charlie Chan, rather than Warner himself being nervous. Maybe someone else here on the site will have some idea why Charlie does that.

It's been quite some time since I got to sit down and watch a Charlie Chan movie so I'm kind of basing this on my memory (which can be pretty bad at times) but I believe I noticed Warner doing that during times when Charlie has to speak to other people (say witnesses or suspects). He might do it as a habit when thinking of the right thing to say to a suspect or witness. But not sure.

As for his ring, I believe that's his wedding ring isn't it? I don't remember ever really noticing it or seeing it up-close.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be much help. Good luck with the film!

Dear Craig,

Thank you for visiting our humble site and congratulations on your upcoming role! When completed, and if possible, I'd personally love to view the film, perhaps on YouTube if possible?

In reference to your two questions. I agree with RChanFan, that rather than a nervous twitch, Warner Oland had just incorporated touching his fingers into his role as Charlie Chan, when "reasoning" or explaining the case/clues in that particular scene.

In reference to the ring that Oland wears, I don't recall him wearing it in his earlier films and have actually looked at some pictures to make sure. I did notice a very good picture that should be of help to you. If you go to our main homepage and click on the "Gallery" tab, click on the double doors, click on the "Gallery Directory" and then scroll down and click on "Charlie Chan in Paris", the first picture on the page has a very good image of Warner Oland, displaying the ring!

I hope we were of some help and please let us know how you make out this weekend. Warner Oland is personally my favorite "Chan" and would love to see your interpretation of him.

Any, as they say, best of luck and....."Break a Leg"....and make us proud!

Sincerely,
Matt

Hi
Sorry for delay in response. I have read that Oland's ring is a fairly large piece of jade, given to him by his wife, Edith.