Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK/BULLDOG JACK

Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back (1937) is available on You Tube and DVD. Warner Oland plays yet another mysterious "Oriental" - Prince Achmed. He's marvelous as he alternates between charming and menacing to Ronald Colman and a very young Loretta Young.

Ah great! Thanks for letting me know Anne. I actually didn't even think of checking on youtube.

You're welcome. It's really a fun film - lots of melodramatic slinking around by Mr. Oland's henchmen.

Last night I viewed "Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back" (1934, 20th Century Films) via YouTube.com. I was expecting a slow, dull, stagey melodrama. But it was not to be. I was delighted for view a fast-paced mystery starring Ronald Colman and Warner Oland. It kept me glued to the screen.

For a fan of film mysteries, this film has it all. There are fine performances by the entire cast. There are beautiful sets with atmospheric photography. Low-key background music add to the suspense in the early scenes. Nice.

This film reminded me of the original "Thin Man" (1934) in many ways. A sophicated detective, clever dialogue, a funny side-kick, women falling into the detective's arms, etc.

This film keeps moving forward with colorful characters saying witty and clever dialogue. Never a dull moment.

Mr. Colman and Mr. Oland are the perfect match as "good guy" vs. "bad guy."

As a fan of his films outside of the Charlie Chan series, Mr. Oland makes a fine "heavy" in this film. One can see why producers continued to cast him in dark sinister roles.

Mr. Durrant, thanks for the heads up regarding "Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back" (1934), but next time, please don't give away the ending in your posting. Rating: ***1/2.

The two Colemans are two of the best Bulldog Drummond films, and Oland is excellent.
Bulldog Jack is a nice "one off" semi-comedic but not a great addition to the Drummond canon
I say this as a Drummond afficienado (whose nom-de-internet is Bdogdrummond)

Why, thank you! BULLDOG JACK was also known as ALIAS BULLDOG DRUMMOND, incidentally.