Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Good Mystery Show (Rosemary & Thyme)

I thought I'd tell you all about a mystery show that I discovered a while back. Not sure if many of you have seen this show before, so I decided to write a quick post about it for all those looking for new mysteries to watch.

The show is called Rosemary & Thyme and it's very Agatha Christie-like in some ways. This British mystery show is about two women: a retired constable Laura Thyme and plant pathologist Rosemary Boxer, who meet during a bad time but with their passion for gardening become good friends. They begin to work together to fix people's gardens and such. Somehow the gardening (which is of course only in the background of the story most of the time) leads them to murder mysteries.

These whodunnit 50-min mysteries are written really well with suspense and humor. I like that they're not overly dramatic and fast-paced. Netflix has three seasons of this show on. I recommend checking it out!

Note: To those who don't have Netflix, you can also watch the full episodes on youtube! I'll provide you with the link to the first episode from the first season (which I guess it's customary to start with although it was probably my least favorite episode in the first season):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4O7Ulvfzvw

They seem to have most of the episodes from all the season on there though!

Re: A Good Mystery Show (Rosemary & Thyme)

Hi RChanFan,

I'm glad to hear that someone else enjoys watching Rosemary and Laura! Isn't it nice and gentle with nothing to offend? There are so many BBC productions that should have had more seasons.

Have you seen "Sherlock Holmes:Murder Rooms" starring Ian Richardson? It's the only Holmes redo that I would recommend. It's 4 episodes.

I watch British shows often. Have you seen "Pie in the Sky" or "The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency"? They're both gentle mysteries.

"New Tricks" is a little more edgy and there is some offensive material but the cast is good and so is the writing.

Please post your recommendations anytime you find something worth watching. Netflix rules!

...janet

Hey Janet, glad you like Rosemary & Thyme also! Definitely a good show to watch. I actually haven't heard of those other shows you mentioned but I'll definitely check them out!

I agree with what you mentioned..there's a lot of good British mystery shows and if it wasn't for Netflix, I wouldn't have been aware of them! It was because of Netflix that I got to watch shows like Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Tommy and Tuppence, Sherlock, ect (although I'm sure they can be found on Youtube as well!) But I agree, many of these shows sadly don't have enough episodes/seasons.

I think it would be a great idea for everyone to post other mystery shows/movies that they discover or enjoy watching from time to time, though. I'm always looking for something new. If I come across other shows, I'll let ya know! And, again, I'll check out those that you mentioned. Thanks!

Hi RChanFan,

I like Poirot and Miss Marple too. I forgot to mention that Margaret Rutherford made 4 Miss Marple movies that are excellent. They're black and white and I watch them all the time. Netflix has them.

Murder Ahoy
Murder at the Gallop
Murder Most Foul
Murder She Said

Please post whenever you see something worth watching. I watch mostly British films.

Hi Janet...

I would love to check out those Miss Marple movies you mentioned but I don't see them listed on Netflix's Instant Streaming page. Do you watch them on Netflix's website or do you mean you get the in the mail from Netflix? Unfortunately, we don't have the plan to get the movies in the mail -- just the instant streaming plan. Maybe I can find the movies elsewhere, I'll have to look. I've been watching the two Miss Marples on Netflix: Agatha Christie's Marple (2004 - 2008 series) and the Miss Marple series from the 80s. Both are really good.

Have you ever watched A Touch of Frost or P.D. James series? I've seen them listed on Netflix but I haven't watched them yet. I'm assuming they're mysteries but I'm wondering if they're the dramatic kind of mysteries. I'm not much of a fan of overly-dramatic shows (or really police-type shows like LAPD and Law and Order and such). So I've been kind of putting off trying those shows.

There's two British shows on Netflix that I've checked out a few times based on Dick Francis books. The first one is from 1979: Dick Francis Thriller: The Racing Game. This show is pretty good..about a former jockey and friend that solve mysteries involving horse racing. Although I must admit, not being much into horse racing, I do get a bit confused at times. The other is Dick Francis Mysteries which I've heard isn't much like the original books and I've only actually seen one episode from this show and it seemed more action-oriented than mystery oriented like the former show I mentioned. But since I haven't had much time to check it out, I can't really judge.

Hi RChanFan,

I switched to DVD's with Netflix but I used to steam.
There are 3 Dorothy L. Sayers/Lord Peter Wimsey's that used to be available for streaming that are good:

Strong Poison
Carcase
Gaudy Night

I did like the Dick Francis movie. Didn't that star Ian McShane? Do you watch him in the Lovejoy Mysteries?

I was hoping you could see Margaret Rutherford. She is my favorite Miss Marple. Do you have a favorite?

I don't like the intense drama ones either, like Prime Suspect.

Have a good weekend and thanks for the P D James reminder!

...janet

The Miss Marples with Margret Rutherford, play on TCM, would say three times per year . Always see them listed in the mornings. Worth a watch for sure.

grendal
The Miss Marples with Margret Rutherford, play on TCM, would say three times per year . Always see them listed in the mornings. Worth a watch for sure.

Thanks grendal..I've discovered they are on youtube also!

Sorry it took me so long to reply. My mom's in the hospital right now so it's been a tough time and I haven't had much time right now.

I'll definitely check out those movies you mentioned. I haven't seen any of them including the Lovejoy Mysteries you mentioned. But I'll add them to my list :)

The Dick Francis Mysteries series, from 1989, does star Ian McShane. Netflix only has 3 episodes from the series but I have only seen the first, I think. The other Dick Francis series I was talking about was "The Dick Francis Thriller: The Racing Game". This series was from 1979 and stars Mike Gwilym. Both are pretty good but I've seen more of the latter.

Do you like P.D. James? I'm wondering what kind of mysteries they are. I never seem to have the time to check it out.

By the way..the Miss Marple with Margaret Rutherford that you mentioned is on Youtube! Hopefully when things calm down here, I'll be able to check them out.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she's doing better.

I've been kept away from here too with family obligations.

Hospitals are so draining.

JaninPenna
Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she's doing better.

I've been kept away from here too with family obligations.

Hospitals are so draining.

Thanks, she's doing a bit better. Things have been somewhat hectic here lately so I, too, haven't been able to be on the site much. I hope to be able to get into a CC chat sooner or later though!

Hope things are ok with you and your family!

Thanks for your kind thoughts. It is much appreciated.