Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone know when rest of Chan features released?

Hello,
Sorry if this opens up old wounds, but is anyone privy to the release of studio copies of:
"The Red Dragon"
"Shadows Over Chinatown"
"Docks of New Orleans"
"The Shanghai Chest"
"The Feathered Serpent"
"Sky Dragon"
I would think the studios would have better copies of
of the last four, as the collector-to-collector copies aren't so unwatchable. Just my 2¢.
Thank you,
Teil

Re: Anyone know when rest of Chan features released?

Dear Teil,

All Chan fans share your sadness. Good copies - films that would not require a huge amount of restoration - of the pictures you mention are VERY difficult to come by. For a number movies (those you mention), it is evidently impossible at the present time to do so, as we can see from Warner Brothers' recent search worldwide for several examples. Their search seems to have come to a dead end, as they have yet to release the final Chan films in their catalogue for public consumption. For now, the best we can do is obtain "viewing quality" copies from the "grey market" sellers who dot the Internet.

I hope that this is of some help to you...

Sincerely,
Rush

Alas, I figured that would be the answer.
I bet there may be pristine copies stashed away in attics, basements, garages, sheds somewhere in the world. It's a tragedy how many films have been lost due to the studios neglecting to preserve their own output--even the lowest budget PRC films.
Well, I'm still hoping someone could do updated Chan films in this PC world. It be great to see BBC, Granada, ITV, do Chan as well as they've done Holmes, Marple(s), Poirot, etc.
~Teil

Dear Teil,

I hold the same hopes that you do about the eventual locating of suitable prints of the final seven films in the series (actually, I think that adequate versions were found for all but a few) so that we can have good, commerciially produces versiona of all Chan movies. Also, I agree with you about the best possibilities for Charlie Chan adventures being produced today. Yes, I think that the British would definitely do the best job. Sadly, I have absolutely no faith in Hollywood ever doing a straight-forward Chan film, even if some studio would take the risk. Remember how, for years, there was talk of a Lucy Liu "Granddaughter of Charlie Chan" movie? My guess regarding that never having gotten off the ground (which, in the end, may have been for the better - who knows?) is the probable bowing to today's PC norms.

Sincerely,
Rush

I guess this means I better hold onto my VHS copies of "Red Dragon" and "Sky Dragon" until you-know-where freezes over.