Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which Charlie chan movie?

Hi Mary,
I may not be the best to answer your question, but I can recall at least two films that may be helpful. The first one we actually viewed this past Monday evening, "Charlie Chan in The Scarlet Clue". The other film I can't remember the name of the film, but I'm pretty sure it was a Roland Winters Chan film, where Birmingham Brown has an exchange in a garage as well as in a Police Station/Jail?
Sincerely,
Matt

Re: Which Charlie chan movie?

Dear Mary,

Matt is correct about about one of the other films where Mantan Moreland (as Birmingham Brown) engages in some priceless moments of "incomplete talk." Yes, another was in a Roland Winters Charlie Chan movie, "Docks of New Orleans." In this instance, the partner in conversation was Haywood Jones (as Mobile Jones). Another film would be "Dark Alibi," a Sidney Toler Chan picture. This one re-unites Mantan Moreland and Ben Carter (as Ben Carter) who appeared together in the film noted by Matt, "The Scarlet Clue."

There are also small bits of "incomplete talk" seen in a couple of other Charlie Chan movies. In "The Shanghai Cobra," Number Three Son, Tommy, is perplexed as his Pop carries on some fractured conversation with Birmingham Brown!

These are very fun and engaging moments, and I hope that you will be able to take a look for yourself, soon! If you lack the films, you may be able to find examples online at YouTube.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick