Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan time line

Dear Robert,

A good question. The first Charlie Chan novel, "The House Without a Key," by Earl Derr Biggers, was first published in installments in "The Saturday Evening Post" from January 24 through February 25, 1925. Therefore, this first published adventure would correctly be assumed to take place in that year. The following year saw that story adapted as a 10-part film serial with George Kuwa as Chan, who was relegated to something of a minor role.

Now, if we take the Chan film series proper into consideration, we would consider that the stories take place beginning in 1931, with "Charlie Chan Carries On." Elsewhere at this site, we have our "Family Room" where you will find a compilation of Charlie Chan's vast family which includes dates of probable birth for Chan offspring. This one is based mainly on the film series a bit of blending of information from the novels, so, one might consider shaving five or six years from the dates if the books are your focus. Also, the names would be different from those in the books versus the children in the films. For example, Number One Son is named Henry in the Biggers books (as he was in the film version of "Charlie Chan Carries On," by the way). Number One Daughter is Rose in the books, and we see her referred to as Ling when we see her on screen in "Charlie Chan in Honolulu."

In all cases, a healthy dose of conjecture is required to compile such a roster. I hope that this has been of some help to you.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Charlie Chan time line

Dear Rush,
Thank you valuable input. I my greatest hope is to stay true to the flavor of the novels as well as the spirit of the man it was based on. If you feel comfortable forwarding your email address I'll make your to send you some SWAG from the project: again thank you for your help.

Yours,
Robert Beacham