Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Shanghai Chest" censorship

I taped this movie years ago when WSBK in Boston showed a mystery movie every Saturday night after the news. My copy has the jail seen, which is amusing and gives Wille Best & Mantan Moreland a chance to interact. I don't know why the scene was cut from your viewing of the film. As you say, it could be due to the "politically correct" norms we have today. I have also noticed that movie scenes are cut when these films are shown on regular TV channels (as opposed to cable movie channels), probably to fit the film into the time slot, or perhaps to fit in another commercial. Since this particular scene does not really contribute to the storyline, the scene may heve been cut for these other reasons.

Personally, I don't mind them editing any scenes with Mantan Moreland in them.At least it was on television and sometimes they do make cuts to fit the time slot and to make sure they get all their commercials in...

All of our early Chan tapes we got from commercial TV. We had a copy of "Circus" without the scene where Su Toy locks Lee in the monkey cage, thereby leaving us wondering about the later line in the hotel room when Charlie asks Lee if he wanted to stay in the monkey cage.

We also had a "Dark Alibi" without the scene showing how Tommy and Birmingham got in the cell. That omission always left us wondering...

Some of our early tapes were pretty crude. I would leave the tape going when I went to work or bed, depending on my shift that week, then when I got the time I would copy it to another tape minus commercials.

That deleted scene has been the source of conjecture for at least ten years, I believe. Hawaii Steve has a 16mm print of "The Black Camel" that has been similarly altered. My opinion is that his shortened copy, as well as the version of "The Shanghai Chest" that you mention, is more the result of shortening the running time in order to accommodate television airing in a time slot than one of censorship.

However, we do see a censorship of ideas (and, in fact, a censorship and a re-writing of the past!) around us today that is growing at an alarming rate, sadly and, ultimately, tragically. Truth is the ultimate victim. This has surfaced against Charlie Chan in recent times through the organized (and well-funded) work of various special interest groups. The best cure for this growing societal malady, I feel, is to remain ever vigilant, educate ourselves as to the FACTS (over emotion), and to let our voices be heard.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Sorry it took so long to reply. "Shanghai Chest" is the only Chan film I have that I noticed such a cut. My DVD versions of "The Red Dragon" and "The Chinese Cat" correspond with my old VHS copies.

The first VHS copy of "The Black Camel" that I bought years ago on eBay omitted the crystal ball scene between Tarnevarro and Sheila, which I don't understand since it is important to the rest of the storyline. I think the DVD versions now being sold have the scene intact.