Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help me find a high-res of a Chan image?

Dear Friends and Fellow-fans!

I'm an occasional "lurker" on this site, and always enjoy listening in on the conversation. I'm writing in now because I have a special request:

Basically, I'm publishing a book with a chapter about Charlie Chan (the point of my chapter being, in essence, that Chan's Eastern intuition fuses with his Western techno-expertise to help solve many of the crimes in the films), and I was really hoping to include an image that I found in the gallery here on this site. It's the one from Charlie Chan in Egypt where he's demonstrating how the violin vibrated at a certain frequency, and so therefore fractured the glass capsule with the poison. Would anyone on the site have a high-resolution copy of that image (preferably 300dpi, tiff) that they could share with me? You'll of course get a shout-out from me in the acknowledgements of the book. (Oh, and don't worry about the copyright stuff, I'll take care of tracking down all that). I just need a high-res copy of the image.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
John Williams

Re: Help me find a high-res of a Chan image?

P.S. the link to the image is here:
http://charliechangallery.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/egygallery25a.jpg

If anyone can help me find a high-res copy I'll do my best Chan "Thank you so much!"

Dear John,

Welcome!

I don't think that I have that particular image available in my personal collection of Chan stills, but I will check. It may take a little while, as we are in the process of moving to another home and everything is currently in storage. My Charlie Chan items are within fairly easy access, however, and I'll take a look when time allows. I may have other images relating to the use of technology. I believe I have one of Chan with the short wave radio transmitter in "Charlie Chan's Secret." There are other images as well, but, again, I will need to take a look.

Some years ago I wrote a very small piece for the publication of the Computer Museum of America (now defunct) where I briefly discussed the then-cutting-edge technology sen in Charlie Chan pictures. The article can be seen in our Study at this site. It is in either the "Charlie Chan"section or the "Misc." collection.

I hope that this has been and may prove to be later of some small help to your worthy project.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Dear Rush,

Thank you so much for the reply, and for offering to check for the image(s). I'll certainly check out the article you mentioned, and be sure to cite it along the way!

If you have a chance to find any of those images (and especially the one from Chan in Egypt) sometime in the next week and a half, I'd be soooo grateful. My deadline for the manuscript is Jan. 31st, so I am somewhat pressed for time. But I'll understand if things are in disarray and you can't get to it.

All the best,
~John.

Dear Rush,

Thanks again for the tip on your Chan and Technology article. Very helpful, and I'm quoting it in my book! Do you happen to have an update on those stills? My deadline is looming.

Thank you so much!
~John.