Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New to Chan.

Thank you for your welcome and reply.

I too feel that a Chan set in modern times would not be as interesting as a Chan set in the past. More of the culture clash could be developed and the prejudices examined more that were touched on in the Oland films.

I watched Chan in London last night for the 1st time and really enjoyed it, I had my money on Ray Milland being the killer though.

By the way Devon at the moment is very cold, lots of snow and even more ice & hail with more to come.BBBBBRRRRRRRR ! Steve.

Aloha Steve and welcome to the Chan Clan.

A revival of Charlie Chan on film and/or television is a great idea, but it isn't going to happen ... at least during our lifetime. There are several members in our group, myself included, who have made efforts to bring attention to a new Charlie Chan, but nothing has happened to create interest.

Regarding the casting of an Asian-English actor in the role, let me say this. Any established film/television actor would be a fool to accept the part of Charlie Chan. It would be career suicide.

Once an actor plays an established character like Superman, Tarzan, Frankenstein, Sherlock Holmes, or Charlie Chan, and the first film is successful, the studio will ask the actor to revive the role for a sequel. And now you are stuck.

To understand the situation, one needs only to examine the careers of actors George Reeves, Johnny Weissmuller, Boris Karloff, and Basil Rathbone. Near the end of Universal's Sherlock Holmes series, Basil Rathbone hated playing Holmes. He had become typecast in the part and had lost interest in the role. He had had it.

In modern times, one should examine the careers of Michael Keaton, Christopher Reeve, Val Kilmer, and the other wonderful actors, who have played Batman and Superman during 1980s, 1990s, and beyond. I wonder about the three actors who portrayed the Three Stooges in the 2012 film of the same name. They did a wonderful job portraying Larry, Moe, and Curly. Will the actors revive those three characters and play the parts again?

Any good actor believes that he is better than just one role. Just ask Karloff or Lugosi. Karloff broke away from the role that brought him fame, but sadly, Lugosi did not. He was Dracula till the end of his life.

As a fan of the films of Charlie Chan, I hope that some day a respectable European film company, with connections to the BBC, will produce a remake of Chan, and do him justice. In my humble opinion, a new Chan film should be based on a Biggers novel and should be set in the past, pre-World War II.

And that, Mr. Steve, is my two-cents on the subject. Enjoy the classic films of Charlie Chan. They're engrossing.

Hawaii_Steve

Steve, many thanks for your reply.

You make a good point about the 3 stooges film, the actors concerned i think have been approached about another stooge film and if also successful may find themselves typecast as you describe.

Best wishes from the UK. Steve.

Steve - Have you seen Gosford Park? This movie has a character who is supposed to be getting information on English country houses, to make CC in London.

Also, look up the actress Drue Leyton, she had a VERY interesting life, and wrote a book about some of her WWII experiences, I think.

Diana

Hello, No i haven't seen Gosford Park but i will check it out. Regards Steve.

Dear Steve,

WELCOME!

I feel your excitement as you work your way through the Charlie Chan film series! How wonderful that is, I am sure. I recall the first time I was able to see some of the films, and it was like being invited to step back in time a bit and experience the world of that great detective, Charlie Chan. As you move through the series, I sense that you will allow for the changes that were evident when Sidney Toler assumed the role, and then, when the series moved to another film studio - Monogram pictures - with its lower shooting budget. Finally, when Roland Winters carried on the role following the passing of Mr. Toler, taking the series through the final six adventures. You may even wish to view the 1957 TV series, "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan," This series starred J. Carrol Naish as Chan (he appeared opposite Warner Oland in "Charlie Chan at the Circus" in 1936).

I know that it would be in the early morning hours of tuesday for you where you live, but please feel invited to join us as we watch a Charlie Chan movie together each week at our Chat Room, which is found at this site. We are just beginning this year's trip through the entire Chan film series, which will include some interesting detours along the way.

You bring up the topic that interests and engages all Charlie Chan fans; could the series be revived? i believe that if could, were it to be done the right way and with great care to correctly portray the era during which Mr. Chan thrived. Sadly, I would have absolutely no faith in Hollywood getting it right. I shudder to think what the minions of political correction would do with him! My choice would be for those who have produced such great adaptations of classic detectives in your country, Steve, take on the wonderful challenge of producing a new Charlie Chan series. just imagine what a multi-part series based on each of the Earl Derr Biggers Chan stories look like! And, yes, we would certainly want to see someone of Chinese (or asian) heritage portray Charlie Chan. times were very different those many years ago when warner Oland was asked to play the detective onscreen. Who of the correct ethnicity was available then with enough name recognition as well as the ability to effectively function in the then-new era of sound? To prove this point, the earlier silent portrayals of Charlie Chan were by actors of Asian descent. In those pictures, as well as the "soundie" "Behind That Curtain," Chan was relegated to a minor role. With the advent of sound, and with the focus now, rightly, on Charlie Chan, everything changed. Many actors and actresses who were wwell-known in the silent films could not successfully make the transition to sound. This would have been compounded for many Asian actors. Warner Oland was chosen for his experience in playing Asian characters in both silent and sound films by the time Fox Films decided to produce "Charlie Chan Carries On," the first film in the Chan series proper. Earl Derr Biggers himself was very pleased with their choice and the resulting film.

I could go on, but, I'll end my rambling to again welcome you to our humble fold. Thank you so much for your interest and your kind words, and please don't be a stranger!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Many thanks for your welcome, and as Chan would say " Thank you so much ". I am very much enjoying the films and am watching them in order, unfortunatley I would enjoy the chat rooms but it's a bit late over here. But you never know i may have a Chan triple bill movie nite and join you.

I watched Chans Secret recently and enjoyed seeing Rosina Lawrence in the cast, a lady who I was very fortunate to meet back in 1984 at a Laurel & Hardy film convention. A very nice lady who seemed genuinely amazed at the new found interest in herself and career. Chan didn't come up in the conversation I had with her as I wasn't aware of the films at that time.

All the best from the UK, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Welcome. Hope to see you on Monday night chat.

While it is POSSIBLE to bring a beloved character like Chan back to life, I think it is unlikely they could do him justice, given today's taste for movies.

I've contented myself with what we have and hope the "lost" Chans will someday come to light.

Hello and thankyou for your reply.

I would like to join in the chats but it would be a bit too late for me in the UK to join in. I am very much enjoying the films and watched Chans secret the other evening and was delighted to see the young Rosina Lawrence in the cast. A lovely lady who i was lucky to have a brief chat with back in the 1980's.

You never know with the lost chans turning up as even once thought lost silents seem to reappear from nowhere from time to time. I was quite surprised to learn about the lost chans as i thought most sound movies from the 30's were still available.

Best from the UK, Steve.

Steve, Aloha. If you haven't already I'd HIGHLY recommend reading the six original Charlie Chan novels the author wrote, and which are what first attracted the public and the film industry to demanded more Chan. They are literary greats in my humble opinion. You know the old saying, "the book was better than the movie"! I love to watch the Chan movies with my Grandchildren, who are all big Charlie Chan fans. They absolutely love the one (can't remember which) where the elevator floor drops out and the guy plunges to his death (17? floors) beneath! We all have to hang on when we get into an elevator. It's become a ritual!

Bye the way, one grandchild is part Chinese-Korean-Swede-Norwegian-Italian, and she's yet to take offense at a Swede playing the part. OK, Steve F. will call me out on this one...she's 9 yrs old :)!

Lou