Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hawaii - Chan sites

Dear Len,

What a wonderful experience you will have! As was suggested, you might want to pay a visit to Hawaii steve while you are in honolulu. He can offer you a wealth of information about chan sites as well as those relating to HPD Detective Chang Apana! He could show you the exact spots where history took place as you walk through Honolulu's Chinatown area and the and the environs surrounding the old Honolulu Police Department building where Charlie Chan would have worked, and more.

You will have to pay a visit to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Watch "The Black Camel" a few times and, as you walk through the older parts of the hotel, you will recall scenes from the film. While at the Royal Hawaiian, pay a visit to a great little Panama hat shop, Newt at the Royal. You may even want to buy one while you are there, and what better place to do so! (My honorable wife bought the one I wear at this shop when we were there for our anniversary nearly ten years ago.)

You can, with some research, find he grave of Chang Apana, which is a little drive outside the city of Honolulu. A must, actually, for any Chan fan! While driving, take the Pali Highway to the "other side of the island" to the town of Kailua and see Kailua Beach, which we see prominently in the opening scenes of "The Black Camel." You will also want to see the Lani Kai monument alongside the road to the community, which can be seen as Alan Jaynes drives Shelah Fane back to the hotel to meet with Tarneverro.

You will also want to pay a visit to Prospect Street which runs along the slope of Punchbowl Hill. this was the street that we see Charlie Chan taking as he and Kashimo dive to HPD headquarters together. Also, at around the address 201 (actually a little bit south of that address) on that street is where the Chan home would have been located as shown in "The Black Camel."

In may ways this outline above is very incomplete. If you are interested, I can gather more exact information for you, and we can see if it would be possible for you to meet up with Hawaii Steve while you are there.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Hawaii - Chan sites

TYSM for all this helpful material, I've been in touch with Hawaii Steve and we'll be doing a Chan tour with him in mid-March. Looking forward to it (and we should be able to drop in on Monday nights again online... had been tied up in a play rehearsals seemingly forever!)
Len