Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan's Secret"

Our film for this week's weekly Chat and film Viewing will be "Charlie Chan's Secret," starring Warner Oland. In this adventure, Charlie Chan again works without the aid of Number One Son, Lee, as he travels to San Francisco to help a friend, Mrs. Lowell, determine the whereabouts of a missing heir who disappeared aboard a doomed steamer that was headed for Honolulu. At first a fairly simple case, it soon turns much more complex...and deadly!

The title of our film, "Charlie Chan's Secret," connects it with other similarly titled films in the earlier portion of the Charlie Chan series from Fox Films: "Charlie Chan's Chance," "Charlie Chan's Greatest Case," and "Charlie Chan's Courage." Charles McNaughton was originally listed as being cast in this movie, which had the working title "Charlie Chan in San Francisco." From a still image that I have, it appears that Mr. McNaughton was slated to play the butler role in the film. However, that part, in the finished movie, was filled by Herbert Mundin as Baxter, the not-so-brave and often bumbling butler (please see the attached image for this week which shows Charlie Chan and Baxter upon arrival at Colby House.) "Charlie chan's secret" opened in New York City on January 17, 1936 and has a running time of 71 minutes.

Also, we see Ivy Ling, although uncredited and not officially verified, as Lee Chan's telephone girlfriend. This same actress, again unverified officially, appeared as the Chans' Number One daughter in the Chan family breakfast scene in "The Black Camel."

As always, we begin arriving at our Chat Room (located at charliechan.info) at 8:00 Eastern Time. After 15 minutes, we will begin rolling our collective films (at precisely 8:15 ET). Please note this recent change so that you will not be late to our start!

As all of us are aware, even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted adventures, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. (Happily, at last check, "Charlie Chan's Secret" IS available at YouTube!).

Thank you so much, and let’s meet for yet another fun Monday evening as we gather to watch “Charlie Chan's Secret"!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

View "Charlie Chan's Secret" at Internet Archive

For those fans who do not own a copy of this Chan title, not to worry.

As I stated in my January 3rd posting, Charlie Chan's Secret is available for FREE viewing at the website: Internet Archive. At this site, there are three postings of this film. The best viewing copy is titled: Charlie Chan's Secret 720. It was posted by Feature Films in February 2012.

One can google this website or go directly to the site at: http://archive.org

In my humble opinion, this is one of the better Oland-Chan films. Have a great time at the Chan Chat Room on Monday.

Aloha,

Hawaii_Steve

Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan's Secret"

I see you had no trouble Rush. What you have here I posted in the sister group. Since you have been having trouble. We still however have problems with the calendar where we can't access it. So what I will do Rush is in my group amazingchanandchanclan I will place from the calander events here to there. My group will be the brother to charliechanfamily and brother to this site.

If that is okay with you Rush that is? That way until we can solve the problem with the calander at charliechanfamily members can join and see calander events.

Nightwolf