Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan Carries On - Trailer

Dear THX,

YES! This is indeed an excerpt of the trailer for the "lost" film "Charlie Chan Carries On"! GREAT FIND on your part! I knew that it was "out there" somewhere for some years. I had conversed a number of years ago with someone from the National Archives Film Library in Washington, D.C., confirming they had a copy and it was shown to an audience at one time, something I had wished I could have been a part of. There was talk of obtaining it for public consumption, but the cost of doing so was out of the question. When the Fox DVD sets of Chan films were being put together a number of years ago, I strongly suggested the inclusion of this trailer as a part of the "bonus" material, but that, too, was not to be. Now, it turns up in a compilation called "Chinese Hollywood," which can be purchased at the link you provided. I just ordered it, and I cannot wait to see this trailer, the last remaining bits of the first film of the Charlie Chan series, proper.

Thank you so much, THX, for sharing this wonderful find!!!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

"Hollywood Chinese" (2007) is a landmark documentary directed by award-winning film-maker Arthur Dong. It is much more than a compilation, as noted by Rush.

This documentary examines the Chinese image in American feature films. It features interviews with several important Asian actors from Hollywood films, including character actor James Hong. With the introduction of Charlie Chan in the movies, the Asian film image changed from negative to positive.

From time to time, this documentary turns up on PBS. Check your local TV listings.

For some time, I have felt that this wonderful documentary should be included in our schedule of Charlie Chan films. It is a fascinating examination about Asian actors and film-makers in Hollywood USA. After viewing this documentary, one understands why the Asian community feels as they do about the films of Charlie Chan.

I strongly recommend that every Chan film view this important documentary.

Quite welcome!

Fortunately, I had read the "Lost" Chan Scripts on your fantastic website prior to coming across the "Chinese Hollywood" website. I almost thought it was the actual film at first glance, but figured the trailer alone was worth passing along.

The documentary also looks fascinating in itself, I'll have to order a copy of the DVD as well.