Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in Reno"

As the flowers benefit from last month’s showers and we begin to feel the days heat up in May, we continue our group journey through the entire Charlie Chan film series. This week we continue with the second entry in the Sidney Toler era as we watch “Charlie Chan in Reno.” It’s Easter time and spring is in the air. In Reno, not only “The Biggest Little City in the World” but also, as we step back in time a bit, the “Divorce Capital” as well! We join a group of ladies seeking to end their current marriages but soon a murder involving a close friend of Charlie Chan will bring the detective to the mainland!

NOTES: The working title of this picture was “Death Makes a Decree,” as it was based on the story of the same name by Philip Wylie. According to materials contained at the UCLA Theater Arts Library, Paul Perez wrote a version of the screenplay in December 1938, but his name does not appear in the final credits. In the Call Bureau Cast Service lists, Sheriff Fletcher's name was originally Foster. Mrs. Russell was named Alice Williamson, and Choy Wong was named Sung Li. According to reviews in ‘Hollywood Reporter’ and ‘Motion Picture Herald,’ at the time that this picture was produced, this was the most expensive production in the Chan series

So, please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

Even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, newcomers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. (Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing online through such outlets as YouTube, etc. HAPPY NEWS! A check at YouTube reveals that “Charlie Chan in Reno” IS available online at YouTube for viewing.)

Thank you so much, and let’s meet for yet another fun Monday evening as we gather to watch “Charlie Chan at Reno.”

And, one more note of a sadder nature. It seems that Joanne Walsh, one of our most dear CCF members, has taken a turn for the worse in her health struggle. I know that all Chan Family members who read this will keep her, her husband Bill, and her three wonderful children in your prayers.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in Reno"

Rush,

Thanks for sending the terrific still along with your email.

I'm a Yahoo user and I wanted to let you know that all is well on my end.

I am very sorry to hear about Joanne and I said a prayer for her and her family.

...janet