Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan Quote

Does anyone remember what Chan Movie this quote came from?

"A bowl of rice, a good hard floor to sleep on and an arm for a pillow; what more could a man ask for?"

I know I saw it when he was visiting someone but I can't find it.
Many thanks.

Re: Charlie Chan Quote

Dear Jack,

The quote in question is not heard in a Charlie Chan movie, at least not from the series proper. It is possible it could have come from a film such as "The Return of Charlie Chan," an early '70s made-for-television movie which starred Ross Martin as Chan. However, I believe that I have read something at least close to what you quote in either a Taoist or Zen (Ch'an) context.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

"Course food to eat, water to drink, and the bended arm for a pillow...that is an old definition of happiness in my country. What is ambition? A canker that eats at the heart of the white man, denying him the joys of contentment. Is it also attacking the heart of white woman? I hope not."

Behind That Curtain, 1928, Chapter 2 (Charlie says in response to Miss Morrow, Deputy District Attorney, regarding her asking him "surely your ambitious".)

BTW, I forgot to mention, I too remember hearing it on one of the movies and recollecting that I'd read it in the book. OK Rush, it's up to you now :)

TYSM Lou