Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Dead Men Tell" (Start time: 8:15 ET!)

Greetings, as we reach the middle of July and our summer portion of our year-long trip through the Charlie Chan film series continues in high gear…

Our film for this week’s Monday Evening Chat and Film Viewing will be “Dead Men tell,” starring Sidney Toler and featuring Victor Sen Yung as Number Two son, Jimmy. Can Charlie Chan and his stowaway son overcome the legends surrounding the ghost of Black Hook the pirate and solve a case of murder aboard an old sailing ship?

FILM NOTES: According to ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news items, Jean Rogers was to have appeared in this film as Laura Thursday, but was replaced after shooting began by Katherine Aldridge when she became ill with the flu. ‘Hollywood Reporter’ production charts include Faye Helm in the cast, but her participation in the completed film has not been confirmed. Cocos Island, which offers a major element to the plot of “Dead Men Tell,” is an actual place. It is owned by Costa Rica, lying about 300 miles off that country’s pacific Coast. The map of Cocos Island appearing as the title card for this film is also an accurate representation of that island (see: http://charliechanfamily.tripod.com/id43.html for maps of Cocos Island).

So, please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

Even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, newcomers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing online through such outlets as YouTube, etc. Again this week we have HAPPY NEWS! A check at YouTube reveals that “Dead Men Tell” IS available online at YouTube for viewing. You may find it at this address: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf6CQVyLdFg

NEXT WEEK we will be viewing “Charlie Chan in Rio,” starring Sidney Toler.

CHARLIE CHAN IN EL SEGUNDO: “Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum” will be screened at the Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo, California during the weekend of July 19-21. Anyone interested in attending a Charlie Chan Family matinee on Sunday for the 2:30 showing, please express your thoughts at our Message Board at www.charliechan.info or email at charliechanfamily@lykos.com. We can meet for lunch prior to our film at one of the local restaurants located within walking distance of the theater.

THANK YOU: To all who offered their condolences and support for the Walsh family at the passing of their beloved Joanne, thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Dead Men Tell" (Start time: 8:15 ET!)

Unfortunately, I'm never able to participate in the Monday night forums, but I finally saw DEAD MEN last week. I was greatly impressed by the noirish lighting and camera angles. I had never heard of the director Harry Lachman, but I look forward to watching two more of his Chan films, CASTLE IN THE DESERT and IN RIO.