Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Last three Chan films should be released in DVD

Dear CFHM,

Welcome!

I love your passion regarding the release of the final three Chan films on DVD! I believe that the long - three years - delay in getting the four films out that comprise the "Charlie Chan Collection" from Warner Brothers was mainly due to the lack of decent prints of several of these late Monogram adventures. I can tell you that WB was literally scouring the globe to locate suitable material. I am not sure whether they were successful in that regard or if they relied mainly on extensive "repair" of what was available or a combination of both, which is the likely answer. Also, the release of the new DVD set was made possible because of the excellent sales numbers for the first Warner/TCM collection. So, what we need to do is make sure that the word is spread and that sales do well enough this time around to hopefully result in one last collection. We will then have all existing Charlie Chan movies available to us on high quality, authorized, commercially produced DVDs! Who would have thought that to be reasonable possibility ten years ago?

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Last three Chan films should be released in DVD

I look forward to them as well. Along the way I acquired all the films in various Grey Market versions... but as the Fox, and then Monogram and other authorized versions came along they have been clearly so superior .... especially with the extras on some of the earlier ones... that it is no contest to get them.
Just into the new Warners set and the clarity is wonderful. Docks of New Orleans (just started) is so much better than the murky mess I previously had to view. Terrific.