Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tonight's Chat/Film Viewing: "Black Magic"/"Meeting at Midnight"

August’s heat is upon us as we continue along our journey through the entire Charlie Chan film series…

Our film for this week’s Monday Evening Chat and Film Viewing will be “Black Magic” (also known as “Meeting at Midnight”) starring Sidney Toler and featuring Frances Chan as daughter…Frances Chan! In this adventure, Charlie Chan’s daughter, Frances, is attending a séance only to become involved in a very strange and dangerous murder case!

FILM NOTES: This was Monogram Picture's second entry in the Charlie Chan series. The working titles of this film were “Murder Chamber” and “Charlie Chan in the Murder Chamber.” It was also reviewed as “Charlie Chan in Black Magic.” The film was later reissued as “Meeting at Midnight,” probably owing to the release of the 1949 Orson Welles picture “Black Magic.” Although a ‘Hollywood Reporter’ news item lists Trevor Bardette in the cast, his participation in the completed film has not been confirmed.

Please join us in our Chat Room which is located at our Charlie Chan Family Home: www.charliechan.info, and use any of the “Chat Room” links to join us. We begin with arrivals and greetings at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and we roll our personal copies of our film exactly 15 minutes later (8:15).

Even if you cannot access a copy of the above-noted film, please do join us anyway, as you will NOT be left out of our ongoing chat and festivities. Also, as is our custom, newcomers are offered the seat of honor at our humble table. Many of our films, such as this week’s entry, may be found available for viewing online through such outlets as YouTube, etc. Again this week we have HAPPY NEWS! A check at YouTube reveals that “Black Magic”/ “Meeting at Midnight” IS available online at YouTube for viewing. You may find it at this address: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1pjkh3Jsp4

NEXT WEEK we will be viewing “The Jade Mask” starring Sidney Toler and featuring Edwin Luke, Keye Luke’s brother, as Number Four Son, Edward “Eddie” Chan.

CC ON DVD: If you have not already done so, please consider ordering your copy of the new “Charlie Chan Collection” Warner Brothers box DVD collection! The best price I have found thus far is from Amazon.con at $28.79 with FREE postage! Get yours now!

Take care, and let’s all get together for another Chan-filled evening of fun and sharing as we watch “Black Magic”/”Meeting at Midnight.”

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Tonight's Chat/Film Viewing: "Black Magic"/"Meeting at Midnight"

What a fun night. I did a quick internet search and found several sites that sell Mexican Jumping Beans. If you weren't in Monday nights chat you have no idea why I'm posting this. :>)

Dear JP,

It was great to see you at our Chat on Monday night. I haven't seen any Mexican jumping beans in years and didn't know that they were still available! While they didn't figure directly in the mystery, Chan's jumping beans played a couple of comedic roles!

See you next Monday night, hopefully...

Sincerely,
Rush

Sorry that I can never join in the Monday night fun, and it sounds like you might have had fun this Monday.

Rush mentioned Trevor Bardette in association with early planning of this film. That got me to thinking about who he could have played (I really like Trevor when I spot him in a film). I vote for either Mr. Edwards or the killer, but maybe he would be too obvious a suspect as the murderer? It is funny that when you watch these movies all the time you get some actors who become favorites.

Keep up the postings everyone, I check in, but often don't have the time to post.

Diana

Dear Diana,

I know how life can become quite busy, not allowing us to do all that we'd like to do, perhaps. Hopefully your schedule will allow you to join with us some evening soon.

It's fun to conjecture regarding the role that Trevor Bardette may have played in "Black Magic." My vote would go to his portraying Paul Hamlin.

Take care, and thank you for the interesting post!

Sincerely,
Rush

I work evening shift, so I never participate in the Monday events either. Although I seldom post on this Board, I read it several times a week, and I wish I had the time to be more active, both on this site and other old movie sites.