Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Introduction to Chan

Many people think that "Charlie Chan on Treasure Island" with Sidney Toler is the best overall Chan movie, and I would recommend watching this film if you have it available. My other favorite Toler films are "Murder Over NY" and "Charlie Chan in Panama".

As for Winters movies, he does a decent job playing Chan, but most people think he ranks well below Oland and Toler. Winters only made 6 Chan movies, in a short time frame, so there wasn't much time for him to develop his skills in playing the part. I think "Docks of New Orleans" is his best performance as Chan.

I have "Treasure Island" on VHS and "In Panama" and "Murder Over New York" on DVD. I'll also show both "Docks" and "Golden Eye."

The Golden Eye is also a good Chan movie with Winters in the role. You will enjoy it.

It is really hard to beat Charlie Chan at Treasure Island. That final scene with Charlie doing the hypnosis job is just totally riveting and the most suspenseful finale in the entire series, just brilliant!!!!