Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: movie prop painting

As a "long shot" possibility, there is a scene in the old Warner Oland film about Fu Manchu called "Daughter of the Dragon" where an item like yours is featured. In this scene, the Princess is speaking to a man in a room where there is a painting hanging on the wall. A slot opens in the painting, and another person looks in the room. If you watch this film, the scene is about halfway through the movie. This may be a match for your item, or perhaps a similar item.

John -
Thank you for the lead. I just watched the section of the movie you are referring to. Unfortunately, it is not the same one. The main difference is that my painting has only the eyes cut out and the panel slides up. So there would be two holes in the painting to peer through rather than the larger single hole as in the movie. BUT, it is one lead I can cross off!!! The more I cross off, the closer I get!!!!
Thanks again,
Jesse

Hi Jesse,

There were loads of movies that used the "Moving eyes behind the painting" plot device. Monogram loved it and you'll find it in the Bowery Boys/Bela Lugosi movies and others. I don't recognize it from any of the Chans, but what about one of the "Mr. Wongs?" There were also plenty of so-called "Yellow Peril" Movies from independent studios in the early thirties. I also wonder if perhaps the prop is from an early TV show like "The Lone Wolf" or "Superman," both of which had Chinese themed episodes.

Great prop...thanks for sharing and good luck.

Brian McFadden

Brian, thanks for responding.
This weekend, as I was searching more leads, I ran across the Antiques Roadshow website. I was looking at the archives (nothing) and decided I'd look to see if I could send pictures to an appraiser. I FOUND ONE!!!! His name is Rudy Franchi and he appraises movie and television memorabilia, posters, autographs, props, scripts, etc. He has a website ( http://www.posterappraisal.com/) and there I found an email address to send everything to. So I did that right away.
I'm assuming he probably did not look at his email until Monday and it may take some time for him to investigate. I've not heard anything yet, but when I do, I'll post on this thread the results.
Thanks again, Jesse