Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Republic book/Chan actors

Hi Lou,

I met Peter Cushing and Vincent Price. The late Bill Kelly, my friend since childhood, was close to Chris Lee and shared his thoughts with me.

Peter Cushing was one of the nicest people I ever met and his humility was completely at odds with the ego so many actors have. My wife, like most women, fell in love with his gentleness. There's a lengthy interview with Peter in my other book, "Amicus Horrors."

There's also a funny story about Vincent Price. He and I arrived early at the Twickenham Studio's commissary, after they took off half the makeup he was wearing for a fire scene in "Madhouse," so that he could eat. But one side of his face still looked like melted pizza. The good side was on view when my wife approached the table to join us, but when he got up to hold a chair out for her, she saw the scarred face side and jumped a mile!

By the way, when I was a kid, the Monogram Chans were on all the time, because only Monogram, Republic and PRC were providing movies to television back then. Once the majors started supplying their films, the Monogram Chans disappeared for years. I'm thrilled they're available now. But, although a few show up on Netflix, Republic's great horror films and mysteries never returned to TV. I'm hoping "Republic Horrors" will help change that.

Great hearing from you,

Brian

I see you slyly avoided answering my Cushing vs Lee question as to playing Holmes...very wise :). You certainly have met some significant actors down the road. I once saw Rod Serling walk by with two bodyguards in the Cleveland OH airport, but that's about it. Thanks again for sharing Brian, and good luck with the book sales. Lou

"Always think twice before you scatter tributes", The Black Camel, 1930

Dear Brian,

Thank you and congratulations on your new book! I believe that nearly all Chan fans enjoy seeing the numerous "Chan actors" in other films. As you say, "I always feel right at home when I see them in any film." Of course, I could not agree more! Much success on your book, Brian, and I will definitely take a look for it!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Thanks so much for the kind words, Rush...they mean a great deal coming from you.
When I was a kid the Monogram Chans and Republic mysteries and horrors were on TV all the time because Republic and Monogram were among the few studios making films available to television. Republic needed money and Monogram was calling itself "Allied Artists" by then. It was great when the Chans resurfaced on TV and DVD, but the Republics, unfortunately, never really did!

Thanks again,

Brian